• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 29 HAS A BODY INSTALLED A LINEAR AMPLIFIER BOARD

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
just wordering if anybody has installed a rm italy 203 LINEAR AMPLIFIER BOARD on a cobra 29.
i just wordering if it worth the money to install one in a cobra 29.
thanks
al

not a real good idea , can cause a lot of problems , if your looking for more power without a amplifier on a 29 , you could go with the EKL Mosfet conversion , about 40 watts pep ,other then that I would just go with a out side the radio amplifier concerning your 29.

yeap ,sounds like you already knew about that. CBTricks would give you the directions on that as well.

Not that I am any expert or anything but I bought one of those KL-40 amps and zip tied it to the top of a Cobra 148F for a guy and he has had it for 3 years now and he just loves the set up.

So I bought another amp and a Cobra 29 for a guy that didnt want a sideband radio and same thing, still running and he is happy.

Just thought I would throw it in.

I am not a tech I just get something in my head to try and buy the parts and try it to see if it works ,,,,it did :D

Ive installed these and other style boards before with some problems but nothing that is not doable. The first thing and probably the most important is to shield everything to keep the boards from oscillating. The best results ive seen though are to basically copy the final board from a connex 4300 with the one 2sc2290 and intall that in the place of almost any radios final. There are some cap. changes that will need to be made depending upon the radio, but its just matter of experimenting. Im working on a brand new superstar 121 now that I expect about 85 watts from :p This design also works great on ssb and can show 100+ watts.

I won't claim to be a real expert on this.

I've put in a couple of different types of stingers and added in rf amp stages in 29's. I think I'm echoing what everyone else already said... don't do it unless you have too. Like if your a trucker and can't run an amp. Even then your better off with a small amp you can bolt to the back or underside of the radio.
I had a real pain in the a$$ problem with one... lots of swing, an audio compressor and stinger in the radio.... its was a real persnickety combo

"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a guy down here that likes to pull the amps off 2970's and bolt them into his "special voo doo" 29's It...... works "

Wow, thats cool, the guy can wreck two radio's at the same time.....and people pay him for it.

Lords, if you re-read the thread thats our whole point. It IS a bad combo because probably less then half actually work trouble free. Those Stinger boards are just plain bad news.

There are enough decent higher powered new radio's out there now that these hack job mods on regular radio's are not necessary any more for a driver to even consider.

Butcher318 said:
"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a guy down here that likes to pull the amps off 2970's and bolt them into his "special voo doo" 29's It...... works "

Wow, thats cool, the guy can wreck two radio's at the same time.....and people pay him for it.

Lords, if you re-read the thread thats our whole point. It IS a bad combo because probably less then half actually work trouble free. Those Stinger boards are just plain bad news.

There are enough decent higher powered new radio's out there now that these hack job mods on regular radio's are not necessary any more for a driver to even consider.

I agree... you can pick up a small 1 pill 1446 amp thats only 4 inches long, 3 inches wide that will bolt under the radio (or on the back). Its just a small basic amp .... BUT its out of the radio.
Besides that I have never seen a stinger board the had a decent heat sink on it.

Cutting out amp boards from 2970's doesn't seem like a worth while thing to do... You just devalue a 2970 ALOT but don't increase the value of a cobra 29 by much.
Its a crazy way to get 100 or so watts out of a cobra 29.
Why the guy just didn't build a simple stinger board to add into the cobra 29.... or even add in another class c rf amp section into the radio.
Take the amp board out of a goodAM/SSB/FM high powered 10 meter radio... and put it into a 40 channel AM only CB.
I guess the guy must have made some money at it...
I'm not saying anything bad about you personally Skirtchaser...

I did over 15 stinger boards and had no problem with these installed in radios..some with a C o p p er shield some without..
its the same board as in the KL 203..

3 of the radios i did are 3-6 months into it and Dk'ing 7-10 watts into it! without a problem

I don't know what kinda luck anyone else is getting but i aint going to bad talk no one or this stinger .I am not saying there the greatest but a cheap and hidden carry around way to go..sorry just my option!!

I suggest maybe the owner look over the boards when you get them for anything loose or not looking right..
Were only human...
science is made by mistakes and Creates great success 80% of the time the left over % is ,I Can't do it or it can't be Done!

enjoy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.