• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 87 GTL No TX Output

Rc123

Nov 27, 2020
I Just recently Recapped a Cobra 87 GTL. worked fine before but after is a different story. Has Great Recieve but no transmit, no Carrier ETC. any ideas on how to possibly go to fix this? the radio also has Variable Power in it as well but was installed before the recap. Thanks. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Don't you just hate it when this happens?

First suggestion would be a bright light and a magnifier. A loose "drip" of solder bridged across two pads where it doesn't belong is hazard number one when replacing a long list of parts.

Likewise, getting one or more caps reversed or in the wrong spot is high on the hit parade. Always, always always look at the polarity of the old part when it comes out. That's how the new part should go back in, regardless of any polarity marked on the circuit board's screen print legend. The printed legend will be wrong just often enough to cause trouble when you least expect it. You know the old part was oriented correctly, so it should always be your guide.

I'll just assume you removed just one cap at a time, replacing it before you remove the next one?

This method may seem slower, but it improves accuracy. Removing more than one at a time just invites Murphy's Law.

First suggestion would be a bright light and a magnifier. A loose "drip" of solder bridged across two pads where it doesn't belong is hazard number one when replacing a long list of parts.
This has happened to me a couple of times. As I usually don't remember polarity from the time I pull and check them, to checking and inserting the next cap, I usually mark the caps with a mark either toward the back of the radio. Takes me quite a long time to re=cap, but I have also run into bad markings on radios as you stated and had to re-check with the schematic.
Of course that won't help here, just kinda confirming your above statements. I'm am just a super novice on the radio stuff, but try and stumble though it all.
Always good advice here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.