• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 87 GTL - What to Do?

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I was given this radio by a friend. All the knobs are scratchy, but the unit works. It has no forward swing whatsoever, and the meter needle sits on the approved 4 watts when transmitting. Ears seem very good. What would you fellows suggest in order to put this radio in top condition, and whether to modify or just sweeten it to mint condition as it was manufactured. Is there a good middle position. Better TX performance without severe mods?
Thanks.

87GTL_med.jpg

Last edited:

well if its working in every way apart for the switches being scrathy then thats great just get some switch and contact spray and give the switches a good spray but a good service can be a great help to any old rig but remember to tell them you want the switches spraying

well if its working in every way apart for the switches being scrathy then thats great just get some switch and contact spray and give the switches a good spray but a good service can be a great help to any old rig but remember to tell them you want the switches spraying
Thanks.
It does work. I guess a cleaning is what it will get.

I have 2 of these. one i bought new in 1978 the other i bought on ebay NEW IN THE BOX! a few months ago. some people may frown upon cutting the audio loose but if you cut diode 16 (D16) the audio on this thing will blow peoples minds. just my 2 cents. this is a GREAT RADIO! i dont remember the output wattage adjustment at the moment, but i have both of mine keying about 7 watts and they swing to aroungd twice that. (with the diode removed) without the diode removed they will not swing like that.

If the controls are scratchy like you said, a good cleaning is definitely the first place to start.

The Dynamike control is probably gummed up as well.. when you clean that you should see the modulation increase.

Those are nice radios, a good alignment is probably in order right off the bat.

If the controls are scratchy like you said, a good cleaning is definitely the first place to start.

The Dynamike control is probably gummed up as well.. when you clean that you should see the modulation increase.

Those are nice radios, a good alignment is probably in order right off the bat.
I guess I'm going to have to pick up some cleaner. Maybe next day off I'll start the clean-up on this radio.
I hope that the dynamic will be the key to a little more dynamism. As it is now, it talks, but like it is aware of the state of American politics. A little depressed. . .

that radio is basically the same on the inside as the 29LTD.

some of the part numbers may be different, but if you compare the schematic of the 87GTL to the 29LTD, any of the mods that can be done to the 29LTD can be done to that radio.

they are good radios. i have an 89GTL which is the same on the inside as your 87GTL.

make sure you use real contact cleaner on the pots. dont use WD40 or something like that.

if you so desired, you could do the swing mod, and the mosfet final mod, and have a base station that swings to 40 watts!

have fun,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.