• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra GTL 2000 Power up Issue

AJAY0618

May 9, 2023
Hello All,

Recently I pulled and old Cobra 2000 GTL from storage and attempted to turn it on. Only the clock displays and after testing the transformer voltage, I read 15.7v which seemed goo. Then I read teh voltage across the 4700uf Cap at just over 19v. I am considering replacing all caps but want to know if there may be another reason I am not able to power up this unit.

Thanks,

Arthur

Found these though one is in spanish

Attachments

• cobra_2000gtl_sm.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 9
  • cobra_2000gtl.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
So, nothing wrong with power supply.
Put radio in AM and what's a voltage on TP8 or TP7? Driver/final PS.
Also check if power switch is working. It switches ON the rest of the radio by connecting "ground" For a test you can bridge points marked red with a piece of wire.

Attachments

• eeeeee.jpg
    eeeeee.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: DoctorAudio
Will do and good question on the power switch. Hey I located this if anyone else requires it and in english. Also main schematic.

Attachments

• cobra_2000gtl_sm(1).pdf
    20.3 MB · Views: 6
  • cobra_2000gtl_om_main_sch.jpg
    cobra_2000gtl_om_main_sch.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
So, nothing wrong with power supply.
Put radio in AM and what's a voltage on TP8 or TP7? Driver/final PS.
Also check if power switch is working. It switches ON the rest of the radio by connecting "ground" For a test you can bridge points marked red with a piece of wire.
If I have read this correctly at the points specified it is 12.44v. This seems to indicate that the switch is working. This is in AM mode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated