• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra GTL 2000 Power up Issue

It depends from where you took "-" for that mire from the sweasurement.
I traced to white wire from the switch to a small board and measure that contact against the ground. Could you help me find TP7 or 8? I am not good with schematics.

Okay, I found test points 7 and 8 on the main board. Against ground, they are 14.1v and 14.0v respectively.

It did take some time to level off to those values.

Last edited:
Remember that the power switch in this model opens the ground side of the power feeding the radio circuit board. The hot side is always connected.

The power switch is a famous failure in this model, and not a lot of trouble to test.

It is a two-circuit switch and only one circuit is connected. Two jumper wires will put the unused side into the circuit if the factory-wired side of the switch has failed. Gets you a few more years before having to find a replacement switch.

Reactions: DoctorAudio
Remember that the power switch in this model opens the ground side of the power feeding the radio circuit board. The hot side is always connected.

The power switch is a famous failure in this model, and not a lot of trouble to test.

It is a two-circuit switch and only one circuit is connected. Two jumper wires will put the unused side into the circuit if the factory-wired side of the switch has failed. Gets you a few more years before having to find a replacement switch.

I have checked continuity in the off position vs the on and the switch works as it should. When you switch on, there is a break in continuity from the terminal at the off on both hot and switched hot. Also, you now have continuity on the second set of terminals to hot and switched hot. In other words, when you depress the switch there is a change in continuity.

I'm with you Shadetree, sometimes my Uniden Madison with the digital clock just turns off. I push buttons on the clock and the radio comes back to life. It's some kind of alarm clock mode.
I tried this no avail. I do see very dim illumination of the CB channels so far but not on the meters. I almost think the old caps have given out.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Do you have an external source of 13.5 Volts DC? My first check when this happens is to plug a mobile power cord into the back of the radio and select "DC". If the radio now runs okay from an external source of DC power, the radio's internal regulator would be suspect.

And if the radio is just as dead when powered from a DC power cord, the fault is not only with the radio's internal DC supply. Won't prove that it's good, only that it's not the only fault.

Update:

Checked the switch and that is good!
Removed bridge rectifier and checked with meter on diode setting and that is good.
Replaced bridge rectified and established the same baseline clock works, faint CB channel, and no power.
Replaced 4700uf 35v main cap and still the same

Next step is to look at the 1000uf caps (10v and 25v)

I'll keep you posted

the next step should be to check the voltages on the MB3756 voltage regulator and post them here.
its the smaller vertically mounted IC on the right side bolted to the wall.
the one toward the front of the radio.
it has 8 pins.
pin 1 is toward the back of the radio.
measure those DC voltages and post your results.
LC

So I have narrowed it down to the board adjacent to the rectifier. 19v coming from the main 4700uf cap to this board with 19v. The C1419 transistor only reads 4.5v as does the mylar capacitor next to it. Could this transistor be bad?

the next step should be to check the voltages on the MB3756 voltage regulator and post them here.
it has 8 pins.
LC
Will do and thank you.

it has 8 pins.
LC
Okay, I believe I have the correct IC. The voltage is 6.4v but it fluctuates just a little then back to that voltage from pins 1 and 8. This does not surprise me because the voltage from that one smaller board in my previous post is only 4.5v!

please measure all 8 DC voltages starting at pin 1 (rear) and list the voltages you get on each pin. they should not fluctuate.
LC

if you want to see how much voltage is coming out of the power supply make sure the switch on the back is in the AC position and measure the DC voltage at the fuse itself.

remember that you cant use the metal chassis for a DC ground for any of your measurements because it's isolated from the main PC board.
you can use the metal tuning cans on the board itself for a good ground.
LC

Reactions: DoctorAudio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated