• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA TRANSCEIVER MK V "JENTEC"

SHIPPING TO THE USA

4 emails over a month and a half, 3 additional messages through the Egay Shop... I figured they just didn't want to bother with shipping to the USA... Oh well....

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TOO AT TIMES LOL.........IVE SENT EMAILS IN THE PAST BUT THEY GET SO MANY UNLESS THEY ANSWER THEM STRAIGHT AWAY THERES A BACK LOG.........SO I JUST GIVE THEM A CALL IN THE END

THERE ALWAYS BUSY & DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF WORK THEY GET ITS A CASE OF HAVING THE TIME TO PLEASE EVERYONE

COBRAWORXSHOPZ WOULDNT TURN BUISNESS DOWN FROM ANY PART OF THE WORLD (y)

KING SNAKE INDEED

I own a 148GTL-DX with the 145106 and PB-010B which is what John started with I think, correct me if I'm off base. The Mk V is definitely King Snake.

YES JOHN NUGENT ONLY MODIFIED PB-010 AA/AB COBRA 148 GTL-DX RADIOS

INDEED THE COBRA TRANSCEIVER MK V IS THE KING OF ALL THE SNAKES PERIOD (y)

Last edited:
I believe the folks at cobraworxshopz are capable of building those MK V's. I mean if they had a 148GTL-DX with the correct PCB and 145106 pll, don't they have the conversion boards in stock ? Then all you would need is the faceplate and some controls. 26AC148 have you heard of the cobraworxshopz doing mods ?

BUILDING MK Vs

I believe the folks at cobraworxshopz are capable of building those MK V's. I mean if they had a 148GTL-DX with the correct PCB and 145106 pll, don't they have the conversion boards in stock ? Then all you would need is the faceplate and some controls. 26AC148 have you heard of the cobraworxshopz doing mods ?

WELL.............YES & NO

COBRAWORXSHOPZ ARE CAPABLE OF BUILDING THEM BUT THE COST & MAN HOURS INVOLVED TO DO SO THEY SAY ARE TO HIGH......SO I WOULDNT IMAGINE THERE EVER BE MADE

CHECK GMT HOURS & GIVE COBRAWORXSHOPZ A CALL IM SURE THERE BE PLEASED TO ENLIGHTEN YOU ON ALL THE WORK THAT THEY CARRY OUT

COBRA 148 GTL-DXs ARE NOW NEARLY 30 YEARS OLD,MOST PARTS ARE OBTAINABLE BUT SOME ARE NOT LIKE THE ORIGINAL CHROME BEZELS & FACEPLATES

WOW................I DIDNT THINK I WOULD GET SO MUCH INTEREST

PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR MORE INFO

Transceiver MK5

WORLD WIDE

WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT A GUY LIVING IN LONDON MODIFYING ABOUT 280 OTHER PEOPLES COBRA 148 GTL-DX RADIOS INTO MK Vs BY HIMSELF WOULD HAVE SUCH A INTERNATIONAL WORLD STAGE

JOHN NUGENT IS A NAME THAT WILL ALWAYS ECHO THROUGH OUT THE RADIO COMMUNITY WORLD WIDE FOR EVER

HIS WORK LIVES ON ;)

just curious

how much does a radio such as that go for?in US dollars please.just a ballpark figure is good enough.
would love to own one .but i,ll bet the price is outta reach.than theres the finding one....haha

the last one I saw on eBay went for close to $800 two years ago. 26AC148 I actually sent and received a few replies from cobraworxshopz about modding my 148GTL-DX but they stopped short of quoting a price. That led me to believe the price might be in the thousands in USD and that it would scare me to know it. But on the other hand I am just one of probably hundreds (maybe thousands) of operators who own the original the MK V is based on and for some price is no object.

3's

just curious

how much does a radio such as that go for?in US dollars please.just a ballpark figure is good enough.
would love to own one .but i,ll bet the price is outta reach.than theres the finding one....haha

Erm..........It all depends how much you believe something is worth..........some say there only a modified Cobra 148 GTL-DX & better off buying a HF Radio

Well i have 2 X Kenwood TS950SDXs & 1 x Yaesu Ft450AT aswell & even though i find them great & will out perform any CB Radio,the Cobra Transceiver Mk V is in a league of its own

There the "holy grail of radios" & im sure one day there be a film made called "raiders of the lost Jentecs" lol

The red display MK V i have belonged to John Nugent in 1996 & its featured all over,so that one maybe worth $1600-$2000 +

The green display MK V made in 1992 i have maybe worth $1000-$1500

But like i say its hard to put a figure on them as it depends how badly someone wants one

Like Astatic 575-m6 mics these now can sell 3 x more in price second hand than it cost when they were new,so its down to how much you are willing to pay for something

The bottom line is........Yes sure theres newer radios out there.......but theres only 30 Jentec MK Vs known to exsist by ownership........the rest of the 280..........are missing and i own 2 of them.........so theres now only 28.......the guys who own these reconize what they have got & rarely are they for sale

Owning a Cobra Jentec is not just another radio............but a piece of history

Last edited:
Price No Object

the last one I saw on eBay went for close to $800 two years ago. 26AC148 I actually sent and received a few replies from cobraworxshopz about modding my 148GTL-DX but they stopped short of quoting a price. That led me to believe the price might be in the thousands in USD and that it would scare me to know it. But on the other hand I am just one of probably hundreds (maybe thousands) of operators who own the original the MK V is based on and for some price is no object.

3's

Cobra Transceiver MK Vs never de-value as time goes by,they only increase due to the shear amount of people wanting one

$800 two years ago is a good price for what your getting in return

There just not cost affective to do this modification these days & if they were done cost of them would be in the realms of HF radio pricing

There are thousands of Cobra 148 gtl-dx owners like you say but very few MK V owners

You maybe be lucky one day & own one ...........never say never

The channel changer control on the MK Vs are different also,instead of the normal 40 click 360 turning circle found on standard Cobra 148s,MK Vs channel changer control has a 50 click 360 turning circle.....there alot smoother to operate..............a bit like the President Lincoln/2830 Radio

Last edited:
IN Storage

26ac148-albums-26ac148-picture1469-cobra-transceiver-mk-v-storage.jpg

26ac148-albums-26ac148-picture1463-jentec-cobra-transceiver-mk-v-storage-case.jpg

even rarer than a mk 5

Picture330-1.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture085.jpg

this is my radio and according to cobraworxshops and even steve him self has said that this is the only mk 2 jentec in europe in existence i got this from hastings and i found this little gem hidden on ebay on the miss spelt section . the condition isnt brilliant but it is all very original from day one ..

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
I'm looking for one of these cobra jentec mk4 or MK5 units, and willing to pay good for one ! Prefer it works close to normal but not totally necessary.

Cheers, Retro

Best bet is dig around on sites " across the pond " in europe.
That is were most of them are at.
Then there is the problem of " is it a real Jentech or a knock off"
I have heard things about CobraworxShop.
Some bad some good.
Good luck.

Jeff

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Thanks Jeff, hope someone eventually chimes in here and sells it to me. It would go to a good home, I'm quite the CB enthusiast and would use it plus as a base setup !

I've had a few chances (3) and none of them has panned out for me yet.

73's, Retro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.