• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coily 5 Beam

Some things I noticed on that 5 element beam is I have never seen such a large length difference in the elements on any antenna other than a log periodic. This can't be producing close to optimal gain but it may be helping with front to back rejection. Also, the T match is an improvement over the hair pin from both a mechanical standpoint and performance. You have no insulator in the middle and both sides of the element are driven from the center conductor of the coax. Tying the braid to one side of the element never reduces coax radiation to the degree the T match does. The best place for the braid is to ground it to the center of the driven element where there is no RF voltage. Anything else is a compromise.

Shockwave,
I've never seen a 'T' match on an antenna. I'm aware of what a 'T' impedance matching network is, but that's not the same at all. so what does a 'T' match like you are talking about consist of?
- 'Doc

I had another look. It is a Beta match. A TEE match looks like two opossing gamma arms that are tapped along the element length. This match is fixed at the feedpoint but has adjustable length making it a Beta match aka hairpin match.

A Beta (hair pin) I'll believe. Whatever it end up with, it looks like it's very sturdily constructed.
- 'Doc

i agree he moved from a gamma(seen in some pictures) to the beta with a balun.

i made one of these hairpin betas for a beam back in the 80's and although i could not measure it, i believe it helped my signal out quite a bit, i believe it helped focus it better, if that makes any sense.

just my opinion

I think that if the matching device, beta, gamma, whatever, is done correctly there will be some very slight differences in performance and 'losses'. I don't think those differences are going to make a huge difference. If it does, then I think taking another look at the whole thing would be wise, cuz sumpthin else is wrong. I think the practical side of it, which one is more 'practical' for you for whatever reason, is a pretty good way of picking which one to use.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.