• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Compact SSB rig, size of Cobra 25?

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
Looking at options for a SSB radio, like the Uniden PC122, President AX144, etc. How good are these options? Are they worth the $60+ they are getting on eBay?? I know they're older, so who knows what's been done to them, what shape caps are in.. I saw one untested, no cords, "estate sale", dirty for $50+ shipping!

I know, Bearcat. No. I want knobs, no menus, fancy screens, etc. This is for a mobile application, a "reaching behind the gearshift under the dash of a CJ5 with kids in the back seats talking to you trying to drive on a dirt road" type application. Not the type of location where you can see the display half the time anyway.

Are they worth it? Do they have potential with good receive and be able to reach out on AM and SSB?

Reactions: NZ8N and walterjn

I understand the desire of knobs, not menus. As for the pc122 & the like, from what I understand they are pretty darn good. Consider getting it recapped & aligned fairly early.

Looking at options for a SSB radio, like the Uniden PC122, President AX144, etc. How good are these options? Are they worth the $60+ they are getting on eBay?? I know they're older, so who knows what's been done to them, what shape caps are in.. I saw one untested, no cords, "estate sale", dirty for $50+ shipping!

I know, Bearcat. No. I want knobs, no menus, fancy screens, etc. This is for a mobile application, a "reaching behind the gearshift under the dash of a CJ5 with kids in the back seats talking to you trying to drive on a dirt road" type application. Not the type of location where you can see the display half the time anyway.

Are they worth it? Do they have potential with good receive and be able to reach out on AM and SSB?

Assuming you want a cb set yes, the 122xl and the TRC version are great radio's. That's why they bring good money on E-Bay.

02A_uBITX.jpeg
Left is the early Puerto Rico PLLO2A (mc145109) Right is the uBitx V5 board in case.jpeg
In a HR2510 case with room to spare
nextion.jpg
With Nextion display
A little more than you were looking for :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Yeah, that's a little more involved.. I like simple in the mobile.
Just have to make a list I guess and start garage sale shopping and hope for the best.

Assuming you want a cb set yes, the 122xl and the TRC version are great radio's. That's why they bring good money on E-Bay.
What would be a safe price for one "not working, estate sale, no cords, needs cleaned" on eBay? To me, almost $80 shipped is kinda high for a risk...

Reactions: TheRATT
OMG!

I love it!

... - the vehicle I mean...
Haven't seen Speedos' around like that anymore...67000+ how many more rolled over?

Radios' a nice accessory too...

Yeah, you don't want to be having to "Grab a Gear" and smash the radios faceplate trying to get one...

When you go smaller - you may wind up with Front to Back clearance issues, they can be LONGER than a typical 25' or even a 66 - It's why I mentioned the 146GTL or the Pro-640e - they are slim profile and not too far "Backset" so you don't have a whole bunch of Front - out front.
  • Looks like too, you'll need a FRONT mount Mic jack - Side mount clearance is a bit tight...
  • So now you're are limited to Front Mic Mount radios...
  • 146 - skip it - it's a SIDE mount - so back to Front Mount...
I was thinking of something with a good size chassis with some metal to help dissipate heat from the Heater as much as take it in while in use too....

Last edited:

Lincoln II+? It definitely has buttons and menus, but no reason to use them while driving. Volume, power, squelch, mic gain, RF gain, clarifier channel/vfo are all KNOBS.

Plus, you may find the mic buttons especially useful if the radio isn’t particularly accessible...not to mention the 30+ watts.

Lincoln might not be too bad then, if the main controls are knobs.

Side mic isn't much of an issue, as there is some room there. I am planning to rearrange and remove one of those since I have that USB Q3 charger/voltmeter piece. 0108190947_HDR.jpg

The odometer has flipped over once. The dash is one of the few remaining pieces original to the 78 CJ it is. Hood, grille, dash, and steering column are about it. Engine is an 89 Mustang 5.0HO, 83 transmission/transfer, 86 axles, aftermarket frame, fiberglass body....

0305191356a.jpg

Putting the front bars in 0622191924.jpg

Man, I can't truly recommend any radio for that...

Let's look at this in the eyes of a radio...what would it want to be...IT could be in a Fire truck - lights and Sirens - Dalmatian barking away...

Or...

Police K-9 unit, on the hunt for things that go bump in the night...

Then there are those "other types"...

If you wanted to be used, abused and otherwise thrown about a cabin - I can see about maybe 25 different models of radios, all vying - bidding, hoping - wanting to be that one radio...in the console of that SUV...

I'd be nuts to say "do this or that" because many of todays radios would love to die trying to be a radio in that thing...

It's like fishing using worms, they're guaranteed to get a fish or dye trying - and that they do...

Well, then the best two I can recommend are the Lincoln II and the Cobra 146GTL - with my own thoughts towards the 146 - the Lincoln II has a lot of bells and whistles that don't like dirt - it can get messy in that thing and me being a Former SUV'er myself can attest to the fact that some radios like the Lincoln, HR2510 and RCI don't hold up the best when it comes to weight and bracket mounting systems for Dash or console or even cross member setups to handle the torques and bumps these things will get hit with...let alone the open air cabin ventilation system, tends to bring in the dirt - not the best for some systems that don't use a cover/bezel or grommet flange setup to knock away or keep out dirt.

It's the Child seat that blows me away...I can see you taking a trip into farmland country past the cows and farmhands - only to find the fields' sprinkler system and wash that baby out every now and then - with the kid in the seat laughing right along with the rest of the family enjoying the shower...

All I can say is, I know you'll have fun with whatever you choose, just keep it simple - you lose less time and effort - don't overthink this...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.