• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Compact SSB rig, size of Cobra 25?

Thanks! That is another reason I am kinda picky - I don't see the Bearcat living long in it. I had an old Cobra 19 Ultra, but the seal for the windshield frame leaked and the rain ran down onto the radio and wicked up into the covers, corroded a little of the board. Same as the stereo - that's the 2nd one I put in.

Maybe if they release us from out imprisonment this summer I'll hit some garage sales. There's a couple AX144s on eBay, but one is $99+ shipping, the other is $50 plus almost $30 shipping.. That 25 in there was new, but only around $60 I believe shipped free from Amazon.

The Lincoln II+ is tempting, no helper box needed with its output, but a $250 radio in a vehicle with no door locks......

Out on a early summer drive: 0502191630_HDR.jpg

I like the AR-144/AX-144/PC-244 and Cobra 146GTL radios, those are the size of a 25 and work very well. If you want an even simpler radio, the PC-122(XL), TRC-453/TRC-465 radios are also great talkers, and they are even smaller.

If you get one, and ever want extra channels, I am re-producing the Galaxy "N" kits. A friend of mine and I did a slight redesign of the PCB and had some made, so they are available thru me as the "MagiciaN" kit.

~Cheers~

1). Isolate the mount with SORBOTHANE
(Another reason I recommended the TRC-1.)

2).Use a radio mount bracket inside carrier and isolate that same way.

3). Isolate radio from bracket.

No reason a cover can’t be made to keep spilled “beverage” off the top.

Nothing will keep the whoop-tee-do’s away, but the constant “bad road vibrations” can be attenuated.

Shy the carrier, it’s how I helped the radios I used in oilfield.

Granted that the vehicle suspensions differ greatly (a loaded tanker resists the road mightily; we crawled), it was some peace of mind.

Product can be found online to buy, cut, shape. Machine isolation and shotgun recoil pads the most familiar applications.

There are levels of “hardness” (resistance to compression).
I bought “softest”.

Vehicle shock absorber selection goes a long way to remediation. As, obviously, do tire pressures

Reactions: Cutlass327
I don't mean to hijack the thread but:

The 146 is just a bit before my time - what is the main difference between a 148 or 142? I see it doesn't have a SWR meter built in but is the board different?

(... a bit before your time?...)

(While everyone in my younger days of schools of thought read Playboy and Hustler, I read (and drew) schematics and read works from a guy names Howard Sams)
Ouch...
And You're Welcome...
This could go long...so you know...

But the 148/142's One being Mobile the latter being a Base both used a different set of rules than the 146...

The 146 was closer Cousin to the PC-122 and AX/AR-144 lines...
  • Used a similar PLL process, the 2824 PLL which was similar to the MB8719/34, but made thru a different manufacturer so they processed a little differently (Copyrights, Trade Marks - E&C) but to help streamline the approval process (Read Type Accepted FCC) they performed similar "external" functions so they operated similar.
    • Both types use a "Loop" to reference or sample an external frequency "Tap" and compare it to the internal frequency it uses for itself as a means to Beat in Sync - using a slower frequency but the higher frequency was "divided" down (Heterodyned sample then placed thru a counter/divider) then sampled for error correction (that result), then the PLL either kicked the oscillator in that external loop higher or lower in speed (Varactor) to meet the expected frequency as a means to "Zero beat"
  • Grants, 148'use a different set of frequencies that go above the typical CB band and above 10-meter into the Low-VHF business band (+35MHz) and used 7.8MHz to Subtract from that 35MHz to obtain 27MHz CB band (Generalized)
  • The 146 is a SINGLE conversion, while Grant and Cobra line, the MB8719 used Dual conversion. - an extra step to obtain the SSB signal (~10.6 / .7 MHz IF and secondary IF of 16.4 MHz mixed to obtain 27MHz)
    • Key things to think about...
    • Audio IF signal for 146 used;
    • - 10.695 MHz for AM
    • - 10.6925 MHz for LSB
    • - 10.6975 MHz for USB
    • See the differences? approximately 2.5kHz (2,500Hz) and even narrower for Band pass audio bandwidth to reduce leakage into those other two frequencies
  • So the PC-122 / 146GTL worked Upwards (Up-Mix), while the 148/Grant systems worked Downwards (Down Mix) when it came to the Transmitter stage and how it obtained the frequencies you use on the CB.
  • You also have that extra cushion in the filtering to reduce the error in multiplication or, the mixing products for the error percentage on a lower frequency, that error percentage is AMPLIFIED to a higher level of error-rate in higher frequencies you mix up to as a factor of multiplication factor to get a newer frequency
  • So in one way, the Grant and 148 / 142 provided a greater degree of accuracy for 35MHz - for 27MHz factoring. However that did not always equate to better control in the subtraction (or De-conversion) for the main culprit was the 7.8MHz signal being the added into the mess that was not "clocked" nor error corrected by the Radios' PLL system - only it's own VCO. The local IF was used for Decode and Encode that did not even look at the 7.8MHz on-board Xtal - only mixed with - to bring it up or down
The conversion process for both radios has their drawbacks...

The 146 being single conversion didn't have the luxury of extra filter steps in processing to remove RF captured noises (RF interference) like the Grant and 148's have available to them.

The need for extra sets of frequencies in which to accomplish some of the simpler tasks we don't even think about - required several layers of support not just in frequencies and their parts, but the effort of all those extra steps required for two layers of de-conversion for just a little bit better sound of SSB or AM signal processing
  • - make it difficult to place it in a smaller wrapper (case)
  • - so to keep parts count low and to use a more basic platform they used simpler processing pathway.
  • - They also did away with many Bells and Whistles to save Real Estate and # of Switches to play with...
  • - the 146 GTL used (borrowed?) a trick from the PC-122 line and gave us the Single Conversion process and used a filter system more commonly used today and did away with the 7.8MHz Local IF for 455kHz and used this single conversion step (27MHz, to 16MHz IF converted to 10.695 MHz) to obtain audio directly zero beating that against the SSB RX signal
  • - SSB like FM, the Audio is the SHIFTED frequency you hear - the Radios' on-board IF remains steady to beat against it.
You did ask, hope this helps, I'm sure someone whom may be more knowledgeable will come by and dissect my post and point out errors omission obituaries and oblituaries (Pun) - in the effort of adding more to the conversation.

Stay tuned...

Reactions: NZ8N and TheRATT
If it were me, I'd be buying the AX-144...that radio may need work and they do use MECHANICAL switches - the lights to show Mode, help at night, but aren't necessary - they use a SEPARATE pole on the switch - it can get flakey and wink at you - not a big deal but it can get annoying.

- may need a bit of work when you get it home in getting those knobs on the front - working well or back close to OEM - especially the MODE switch (they do get dirty).

But if it can TX - you'll just need a Re-cap - can see by the powdery mildew, it will need some onto a lot of TLC to get this one back up.

But if you need something working right, right - out of the box - then you pay for that convenience and I'd look into the TRC-465

Just remember the 465 has a SIDE Mount microphone jack - can be a pain since it's the older 5-Pin DIN style - not the best in surviving the side-mount blues...stretched cord, broken wiring - better if you use a Screw in 4-prong than the Pin-Clip DIN style Realistic has used...
  • To keep this simple - for Amp use - not any more than a 3-watt carrier is needed, for both these chassis use similar TX strip concept - some different values between but if the Finals are good - do the R151 (AMC) Mod (Limiter intact) and keep Bias below 50mA for both Driver and Final you should be good to go.
  • NPC/RC - Really? Once you reduce carrier, you already get a lot of swing - save yourself some embarrassment - because it can hurt the radios ability to stay cool - it does have a bigger panel yes, but it's not bulletproof.
  • Since we don't know true ages or storage conditions of both radios, be ready to do some mirror repairs and or recapping of some areas to restore conations to make it workable.

She does make it look easy...

upload_2020-4-1_23-52-11.png

Consider yourself fortunate to have been invited...They will put you to work you know...

I'd offer congratulations - but I'm not sure whom I should "Congratulate" :)

Wish them well...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
...not in the TRC-465 but yeah, often. I dislike "most" 5pin DIN.
Basically it's construction more than design. Just soldering the clam shell together goes a long way to improving strength and reliability.
Still does nothing for the socket :-(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.