• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Compact SSB rig, size of Cobra 25?

I've seen radios - sadly, with a big hole in the corner of the faceplate using a grommet stolen from an old appliance - the clamshell-clip insert type - to hold the Mic cord PERNAMENTLY on the front panel and left the side mount alone - they did this to deter theft but also the provide a flush mount for in dash.

These weren't CB's they were commercial band radios in older dune buggy's - serving tour duty in a resort area along Lake Michigan - they did it for several reasons, one main is the "sealing" out of the dust dirt and moisture these open cockpit buses get put thru. They use Motorola and were simple two-way just so they could direct traffic and conditions back to the base for the next tour. So they were small and mounted flush and sealed and worked for what they were supposed to do.

Now I don't think it's wise to drill holes and grommet the design - but you have fewer options with side mounting than with front panel - there are Right-angle but for 5-pin Din - less and less likely - you'll have to pore over a lot of connector photos and to find the right one

Sigh...here's what I wanted to warn you about...

DEPTH...
  • The distance it stands off from the side panel before it makes it's right turn out...
    • Some are (sticks) so far out that you cannot even get it in the dash - too little clearance from the side.
ORIENTATION
  • The way the wires come off the socket - you don't have a lot of choices with your 465 or whatever you choose - because you only have two if that 180 degrees from each other as far as Radio Shack goes.
  • So unless the plug has a multi-angle socket tang to hold the cord standoff at a particular angle off the right angle - away from the radio - you are stuck with that clamshell and whatever direction it comes off.
These DIN-s are now more referenced to MIDI designs - so you may have a little better luck finding these locally at a Music store - at least you can see one and gets your hands on it and work with it to know what I'm trying to pass along the experiences that don't make me a big fan of Radio Shack because of their incessant desire to keep a certain Mic connector in their lineup of Radios.

Only later did they relent and finally started offering front Mic socketed radios with 4pin like the Uniden style - which then gave away a trademark the Radio Shack Entity held onto as a Notion that they were Manufacurered (their Realistic line) to their specifications.

So now the shoes' on the other foot...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.