• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Concerning modulation..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
first i tried the mic gain on the radio at 10;30 n the mic gain on the microphone at 10;00 and it would swing bout 100 watts..then i tried the mic gain on the radio at 12;00 and the microphone at 9;00 and would swing to 100 watts..without actualy haveing to drag my dead a$$ out n drive across the country n have the wife call me to see if theres any difference in mod,does it make any difference as long as both ways swing 100 watts ? is 100 watts a 100 watts no matter the setting ? i,m not talking bout AM im talking SSB .

Forget about the amp for a moment.
Turn it off for a moment.

First, get the modulation set where it is the loudest w/o distortion. Then; turn on the amp. Watts are a useless reference - unless the modulation is first big, bodacious, but clear...

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Rob,, whats bizarre is i had the radio set at 10;30 n the mic 9;30 n it sounded good to me then i tried it radio 12;00 n mic just cracked open n a local told me it sounded better but both ways the meter showed 100 watt swing..

Rob,, whats bizarre is i had the radio set at 10;30 n the mic 9;30 n it sounded good to me then i tried it radio 12;00 n mic just cracked open n a local told me it sounded better but both ways the meter showed 100 watt swing..

That could be because you were probably driving the piss out of the microphone amp INSIDE the radio with the mic being cranked up that high. Watts on a meter is watts but clean watts is different then dirty watts.

Watts on a meter is watts but clean watts is different then dirty watts.

There is a BIG difference between stations that are loud, and stations that are LOUD and CLEAR. What Rob said about turning off the amp and getting the loudest modulation without distortion is the way to go. If you want your rig to sound the best, set up the radio to get a loud, clean, clear signal and then... turn on the amp and enjoy all the compliments you'll get.

Are you talking about trying to find the sweet spot with a power mic setting and the radio mic gain? If so all you can do is mess with it. I know SSB wattage is modulation driven but a watt meter is not the tool to use to see if your overmodulated. On air reports is the best way, they will tell you when your overdoing it.

Are you talking about trying to find the sweet spot with a power mic setting and the radio mic gain?

The easiest way to find the "sweet spot" is to turn the mike gain on the radio and on the mike all the way up, and then reduce the gain on the microphone until you get the best on-air reports. Do this with the amp turned off.

I always set the radio about 3/4 and then started opening the mic a little at a time until I had proper levels...based on the meter with my eyes and then confirmed by people over the air.

The reason for as little drive as needed from the mic is simply to not boost background noise. If you drive hard at the mic it will bring in more background noise.

With my old D104M6, I think I ran the mic at 1 or 2 max, it was barely turned up at the mic and I close talked it. Always got good reports.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.