• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CONCIDERING SELLING MY MADISON TO HELP FUND ANOTHER PROJECT.

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
This post is for 808 in Delaware (shadetreemechanic) he purchased my Sonar fs2340 and we've became acquaintances. I guess i would consider 808 my friend. I'm having an issue sending him a pm so I thought posting on the announcements/open Forum would be okay. This madison has had digital clock removed which I believe I still have lying around somewhere and will include it in the sale if I do indeed find it. It also had a vfo installed. It goes up to 28.805. The clip shows how low it goes as I don't recall because I rarely if ever use the lower frequencies. It's a third Generation. it needs to be sent out before I sell it. I have never sold a item that needed work and I'm not about to begin with this one. It might not make sense to most, but it's just the way I am and the way it has to be. 808 in Delaware purchased my Sonar fs 2340 and once I mentioned the Madison he did show interest. He will be getting first shot at it, but there is no guarantee that he will be taking it. so if not I will be listing it here on my favorite, and only radio form. I can say that the transceiver still looks 100% as it does in the clip I'm sharing. Im not sure what I'll be asking for it yet. After i get it back I'll get some reports to make sure it's all good then come up with a price. Figuring out a price always seems to be The most difficult part of a sale. The frequency counter is off by 2 kilohertz. It doesn't affect the way the radio operates, but has annoyed me since it began doing that. The clarifier isn't 100% at 12 oclock when stations I know are on frequency are tuned in. The clarifying on is a bit off to the high side of 12 o'clock. when I am tuned into someone I know is 100% on frequency (on SSB ) the counter shows the last digit two digits higher then it should be. I also had a local replaced the final when it needed to be replaced. Unfortunately he used a European aftermarket one, and Id like to replace it with the original 1969. I will be sending it to Mike for the repairs. He owns hundreds of those original 1969 so no problem there. I will be offering the transceiver with a very nice Silver Eagle d104. I have a fet modified Silver Eagle (done by Loose Cannon) which I will offer as an option for a price to the person who purchases the Madison. It was a bit expensive to do (shipping and all) but worth every penny. The fet modification brought the audio response down to where it has a nice bass tone to it. I received soooooo many excellent report and plenty of questions as to what microphone I was using. That never happened with the unmodified d 104 or any microphone used with this Madison on any SSB transceiver I ever used. This transceiver is strictly used on SSB as I have a separate set up for AM. But it works excellent on am as well. I hope 808 sees this video. If you do my friend please try to p.m. me and let me know. I will let you know as soon as I get it back and if you're not interested I will post it on the swap shop right here on wwdx. 73. PS it's good to be back on the form after a long illness. I'm looking forward to getting back into the hobby. God bless all my friends here on the forum. Jojo 111 NJ PS. If it seems like Mike is new to making videos it's probably because it was only the third clip he made and or posted on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I received your pm. I don't I think there is an issue with my pm messaging. I am just having a problem figuring out exactly how I used to pm you and a few others. Chris. Please understand that I am still on some medications that make my thought process unfortunately a bit foggy at times. I really did not want to post that clip and the fact that I most likely will be parting with the Madison, but at the time I wrote the message I just could not figure out how to pm it to you. So I thought using the open forum wouldn't be an issue with others. You'd be surprised how many people jump down one's throat as soon as they post something under the wrong heading. Of course that should have been a pm but the fact I couldn't figure out how to send you a message using the private message option I did what I believed to be the next best thing. I would offer you the Madison just the way it is as I'm sure you would be able to adjust the small issues that it's having. It works 100%. It just has those two small issues. One of them actually isn't an issue. The fact that there is an after-market final in the rig doesn't make it work any less or better than the original 1969 that came out of it would. The rig being in the condition that it's currently imo makes it deserve an original 1969. Most that are in the know will tell you there probably isn't any difference between the two, and if so the difference is negligible. In all honesty my reason for getting it 100% operational is that I would like to use it for a week while it's working in that 100% condition before I decide if I want to part with it or not. Either way you will be the first to know. Looking back if I was actually thinking clearly at the time I probably would have and or should've sold the Madison as opposed to the Sonar. Believe me Chris I am not crying about the fact that I sold that radio. I am actually happy at the fact that it went to you, as opposed to someone who really didn't or couldn't appreciate it for what it actually is. I hope all is well with you and the family. I began opening some cardboard boxes that are unlabeled. There are many Smalls that I may begin to list, but the ones I think you may be interested in I will certainly let you know before i list them. One thing I found that I did use approximately a year-and-a-half ago was an Autek qf - A1. I guess one could be equated to an early type of analog DSP filter. Of course it's not DSP, but believe it or not it works incredible. I had it hooked up to the Uniden Madison, and the 2340. It worked great on the 2340, but it definitely shined while I used on the Madison. It worked excellent both on am and side band, but SSB is where it made the biggest difference. It is not modified in anyway and out of a 10 I would give it a 9.9 cosmetically. I don't think there's a single scratch on it. It cuts out unwanted noise and magically pulls stations out of the mud like nobody's business. I remember having some reservations after reading the manual that is available online that I downloaded before hooking it up to the Madison. It did state that some CB radios may need to have a diode soldered across the 1/8 in speaker input on the transceiver plug itself before using it. The manual stated it's easy to find out if this modification needs to be done on the particular radio that one would be using it with. And that was a loud hum or tone would continuously come over the speaker if that modification was needed. I purchased the two adapter plugs that are needed To use it for the sonar and the Madison. I think it was a 1/8 in to 1/4 in adapter. after hooking it up and reading the manual several times that pertained to tuning it up and learning how to adjust for maximum receive advantage I found it to be an incredible little item. I have owned the West Mountain DSP speaker and although I myself found the West Mountain easier to use as there is only one adjustment I think the qf - A1 actually worked better. anything that makes it easier for me due to my disability makes me prefer the easier one to operate. I am considering purchasing another West Mountain DSP speaker even though the Yaesu ftdx 1200 has built in DSP processing. Stacking the DSP West Mountain with the yeeSue ftdx1200 makes a tremendous difference. I actually looked at a YouTube clip that was made using the ftdx 1200 and the exact same West Mountain DSP speaker that I owned, and the difference while using the transceivers DSP and the external West Mountain is incredible. Anyway it is one of the items that I have on the side that I know for sure I will be selling. If you check out YouTube just do a general search on the Autek QF- A1 noise cancelling filter. let me know if it's something you're interested in and I will Definitely give you an excellent price. it's is a bitch and most likely a waste of time but whether you're interested in it or not I will most likely have to have someone open it In order to take pictures of the inside. it looked absolutely pristine on the inside just as it does on the outside. I also found a very nice Turner + 3, and Turner 500. The 500 is the one with the tone control and the volume control on the base in the form of to slide knobs. I have two Mako brand preamps. one is definitely for parts as I put about 700 Watts through it when it can only handle 300 according to Maaco Itself. The other one Works but Chatters a bit. I can guarantee it is not burnt out in any way, and most likely needs a bit of adjusting on the inside. Believe it or not these Maacos do exactly what they're supposed to. I had one hooked up to the Madison when I first got on the air, and was only using a 11 meter wire dipole in the inverted V configuration only 10 ft off the ground at its peak, and it definitely helped take out any unwanted noise while bringing up The stations in the mud. It actually has a Bit of filtering according to what I have read. There is a knob on the front panel which allows you to adjust from minimum to maximum pre amplification. I guess the best thing to do is as soon as I figure out whether or not I am going to sell the Madison. if I indeed decide to sell it you can come and pick it up and check out anything else that I am selling. whatever you're not interested in and I suspect that you will not be buying everything that I decide to sell because there will be many items mostly Smalls meters, two and three way antennas switches etc etc. Maybe you could actually work off some money for the sale of anything I sell you buy putting up the new IMAX 2000 that's been sitting in my garage for approximately 8 months now. the install is probably the easiest antenna Installation you will ever see or possibly be involved with. I think I mentioned it to you before. My IMAX 2000 is mounted to a non-penetrating roof mount, masts and antenna straight down to the ground. all one needs to do is remove the cinder blocks to the side of the non-penetrating roof mount and tilt The mount, masts and antenna down to the ground. after that what needs to be done is to put the new antenna together we move the old one from its u bolt mounts And install the new one. Then tilt everything back And put the cinder blocks back in place. if I do sell the Madison and you would rather just buy it outright without working off Any monies that's okay with me. Either way anything I decided to see I'll offer to you first. I will inform you when I make A decision on the Madison. Enjoy the rest of the weekend Chris, and God bless you and the family. Sincerely, Jojo

Hey Jojo,
Its good to see you back, I hope you are doing well. I am definitely interested in the Madison and the modified D104, just let me know what you want to do. I might be interested in some of the other things too. As far as your antenna goes, I can help you with it anytime whether I buy the Madison or not. We should be able to find a day that's not raining when I have off work in the next few weeks and we can work out the details on the phone.
God bless, stay strong and all the best to you and yours,
Chris

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.