• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 4600 Turbo

John P.

Apr 24, 2015
I am new to this site and not savvy in electronics. I have a Connex 4600 Turbo peaked and tuned by a shop in GA. I'm using a Wilson 5000 antenna. When I first installed the radio, it worked well. Lately, I've been getting bleed through on the FM speakers. When this happens, there is no transmit outside the truck. Changed the coax, checked and adjusted the SWR (1.6) and no success. This radio worked wide open when installed and I have the same power/ground set up. I did everything the CB shop told me to and they say there's a problem with my FM radio. I disagree. I'd like some suggestions on a good shop I can UPS the radio to for a test. Thanks in advance for your input.

When this happens, there is no transmit outside the truck.

I'M not sure what your saying about no transmit outside the truck when you have RF bleed through from your stereo system.

If it is just RFI issues coming thru your stereo system, here is what I have experienced and concluded. I get RF bleed through even with the stereo system's power off.

If you can disconnect the speakers from the back of the AM/FM radio, most of them have a modular plug, try unplugging the speaker wire connection there and see if you have bleed through.

If you have no bleed through, then you do have a RFI problem with your stereo system. I have the same problem In my Semi-truck stereo to which the only remedy I can get to work is to unplug the speakers from the back of the radio when I'm using my HF radio.

If you still have bleed through with the speakers disconnected at the stereo system, than RF is getting into your speakers.This can most likely be cured by using ferrite cores wrapped around the speaker wire.

Try these suggestions first because you need to to rule out either the stereo itself or if the speakers alone are causing your RFI issues. Then post your results and we can be more helpful to offer advice that may work.

Reactions: John P.
Very common problem,.Do a search on the subject there are hundreds of pages on the problem and is most likely not a fault in the cb.A good place to start is route the coax away from all vehicle wiring as much as possible. run the power direct to the battery and move antenna far away from the stereo antenna as possible . Make sure you have a good earth connection . Thats the easy part.Some vehicles you never fix the problem. You have to remember you are putting a device that transmits rf in a poorly shielded environment with a device that is designed to receive rf.

Very good information so far. The only other thing to consider is make sure the shop that tuned the radio didn't clip anything. I think if you try what vkrules suggested you might be able to minimize or even eliminate the problem. You should be able to get a better SWR then 1.6 as well.

Is your wilson antenna a newer type? If so it may have some water in it or have may have gotten some water in the coil at some point. Just something else to consider. The newer wilson antennas aren't made like the old ones. Just something else to consider. Hope you get it straightened out. Good day.

The antenna was one of the first things I considered. The SWR is 1.6 with the Connex and less than 1 when I have a stock Cobra 29 in place. Could the antenna be faulty and still offer a low SWR? The reason I suspect the CB is even when I have the fuse pulled for the FM radio and the external speaker is disconnected, when I key the mic, it will emit sound from the radio speaker with the talkback feature switched off. When I key the mic, the meter will go halfway and when I blow in the mic or talk into it, the meter will peg at full strength. This is new. It did not act like this when first installed.

Are these readings with an external meter? And about the antenna giving different readings it's possibe. How much dead key is applied with the connex versus the cobra and what kind is watt meter is being used? Internal meters aren't trustworthy enough especially after some radios have been altered. If using an external meter what kind is it? There are a lot of variables. The connec more power I'm sure, just how much is what the difference may be. Your issue may not be present until some power is applied, like 4 watts dead key vs 15 watts dead key. You might have a bad connector or like posted, you have RFI issues. Something has changed for sure If it didn't do it before and now it does. Check all your connectors and make sure no rust or oxidation hd occurred between the mount and antenna base or stud. Basically it's a process of elimination. Check the FM antenna for rust as well. Good luck.

The antenna was one of the first things I considered. The SWR is 1.6 with the Connex and less than 1 when I have a stock Cobra 29 in place. Could the antenna be faulty and still offer a low SWR? The reason I suspect the CB is even when I have the fuse pulled for the FM radio and the external speaker is disconnected, when I key the mic, it will emit sound from the radio speaker with the talkback feature switched off. When I key the mic, the meter will go halfway and when I blow in the mic or talk into it, the meter will peg at full strength. This is new. It did not act like this when first installed.
Your talkback was wired to your external speaker jack. An installed switch cuts this at the external speaker jack but your radio's internal speaker jack will still pickup transmitted audio when used without external speaker.

Your main issue is your CB audio is coming thru your AM FM stereo right?

Your SWR and talkback should have nothing to do with that in this case.

You have an RFI issue with your CB radio coming thru your stereo system. This can be caused by excessive distortion since it is all too common to let a CB tech(LOL) clip the modulation limiter so you can have that BIG RADIO sound.

Cleaning your audio up can help. The next thing to do is get a couple 1/2 inch mix 31 snap on ferrites and wrap as many turns of your speaker wire around them as close to the speaker connectors as possible. This creates an RF choke which just as the name implies, chokes out RF. This should cure your problem.

You can order these from DX engineering.com.

I am new to this site and not savvy in electronics. I have a Connex 4600 Turbo peaked and tuned by a shop in GA. I'm using a Wilson 5000 antenna. When I first installed the radio, it worked well. Lately, I've been getting bleed through on the FM speakers. When this happens, there is no transmit outside the truck. Changed the coax, checked and adjusted the SWR (1.6) and no success. This radio worked wide open when installed and I have the same power/ground set up. I did everything the CB shop told me to and they say there's a problem with my FM radio. I disagree. I'd like some suggestions on a good shop I can UPS the radio to for a test. Thanks in advance for your input.
Well Im running the same radio as you my radio bleeds through my stereo speakers but it doesn't affect my out put at all. I would suggest changing your antenna. I'm running dual browning BR-78 coil antennas on my big rig with an swr of 1.3. Remember on swr 2.0 or lower is good 1.5 or lower is optimal. Also these 4600 put out a hellacious amount of power as well, so the bleeding through your stereo speakers might be just the way it is. 200 watts is a lot! Also make sure you have your 10kz switch off you'll be transmitting but no one will hear you. I made that mistake when I was learning. Chnl 19=27.1850 chnl 19 with 10kz on =27.1860.

Also make sure you have your 10kz switch off you'll be transmitting but no one will hear you. I made that mistake when I was learning. Chnl 19=27.1850 chnl 19 with 10kz on =27.1860.
=

Incorrect!

That's a 10 KHz switch so you'll be on 27.195.0

The 5 is 1 KHz and the 0 is in hertz and 100th of one at that.

Reactions: TheRATT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?