• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Constant static on base..

Moved CB to truck. Cranked up RF gain.. no bars showing from this distance of about 65'.. still static but not as much..

IMG_20180917_070744343.jpg

Driving out I did notice stronger static as passing various lines and such..

Reactions: Rwb
I must be lucky,my A 99 gets out well recieves well and dont have static unless my wifi box is on.
I hear some say best antenna built n hear some say junk.
But when i put mine up i made sure of good ground connections. My swr is 1:1 on 1 through 40 tad higer on upper band and lower band only checked both 1 upper n 1 lower

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
I must be lucky,my A 99 gets out well recieves well and dont have static unless my wifi box is on.
I hear some say best antenna built n hear some say junk.
But when i put mine up i made sure of good ground connections. My swr is 1:1 on 1 through 40 tad higer on upper band and lower band only checked both 1 upper n 1 lower

Mine goes 1-1 to 1.2 with 38 LSB and whistling I get max of 1.3 or so for SWR so I'm happy..

Thinking of trying choke balun first.. then grounding it.. not allowed to drive ground rods here in mobile home park the onsite maintenance mgr would have cow..

Just found about 25' or RG58 with connectors on it.. may make choke with that wrapped around some 3" black pipe I have here somewhere..

If it works then I can leave my HF one alone.

Put up MFJ 918 1:1 choke borrowed from my HF setup with like 18" between it and antenna connection (shortest good piece I had).. lost a DB and half off static.. also when I kick preamp up static level doesn't rise just receive level it seems.. seems like voices on RX come in over static better now.. and it doesn't sound like RF static anymore..
progress maybe.

Hang in there your gonna whip it

Sunk antenna mounting post 6" into ground, Added a ground wire up top to the antenna bracket.. SWR went up to 1.4 on Channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 20 and 1.0 on 40.. not sure if that was the post going in ground or the ground wire hanging in breeze. :/

Ground wire wasn't grounded to anything as I don't have ground rod..

Took that back off for now. Till I get rod..

A99 is end fed antenna. That means coax acts as antenna, so pipe too. That is very bad.
To avoid is a must to make:
1. Choke balun right under antenna.
2. Choke balun at coax entrance to shack.

Balun - 11 turns of RG-58 on 2x FT240-52 cores (better) or 5 turns of RG-58 on 4.25" air cored (good for quick check).

Observe if during rain/wet soil static will be less. That means there is a problem with power transformer connections/grounding.
Mike
p.s. A99
Ok. Put up a A99. It's on 16' of 'top rail' post and about 32'6" to the tip..

The bottom of the mounting post is sitting on the ground.

View attachment 25309

All my ham gear and power supplies are grounded to the house ground via an outlet and I verified by meter to be grounded to the ground rod and breaker box which is like 6' away from the radios. My HF gear has some QRM but the CB has it worse IMO, like constant 2-3 on the radio meter.

I verified with meter the ground for the antenna connectors are grounded together as well between the radio and amp and everything else as well.

I turned off all breakers in the house minus and hooked up 14ah gel cell from my go kit.. and with everything off I still get 2-3 on the static.. this was just the CB being powered.. amp was not on at all.. static present unless I undo the coax from radio..

Now keep in mind I live maybe 30-40' from the power lines here.. just norm ones, not the tall monsters.. you can see the power lines in the pic to the right and the transformer.

View attachment 25310

My HF is an endfed with a 1-1 choke just outside the wall..

Also note I have not officially grounded the antenna post or antenna outside yet.. just propped the post up against the vinyl siding, used 4 mounting brackets, and put the A99 on top..

I do have 3 screws holding the posts together (shown in above pic), I can use one screw for a ground wire if needed.. or do I need to put a ground wire right on the A99 U-Bolt up at the top??

Thinking of a ground wire for antenna to run to a small ground rod in the dirt next the antenna mounting mast, and maybe try my HF choke 1-1 on the CB and see if that helps??

Any other things I can try that are free..

is worst choice you could make IMO.
M
What type of coax you are using?

Sunk antenna mounting post 6" into ground, Added a ground wire up top to the antenna bracket.. SWR went up to 1.4 on Channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 20 and 1.0 on 40.. not sure if that was the post going in ground or the ground wire hanging in breeze. :/

Ground wire wasn't grounded to anything as I don't have ground rod..

Took that back off for now. Till I get rod..

Get the ground rod installed. Rebar works. Actual ground varies due to soil composition. Try watering the area.

Reactions: Rwb and CB590
PA770,
The pre-amp only gives you better ears, so to speak. It boosts the receive. The swr change you have is not severe. The 6" difference in elev. can cause that. Get a good ground with multiple locations, then reset the swr. Remember "One is none, two is one." See my above post on this. I have been able to remove the IF from the power system by using multiple ground locations. Also, with my radio in the truck. Had bad noise on CB, grounded everything I could with stranded to the frame. Bed, cab, racks, and motor, with multiple locations. Ran the + and - power supply to battery. Bad noise all gone. Good ground is key.

Check the ground wire running down that power pole you have in the picture. I have seen those as a culprit. Looks a lot like some I've seen around SE Texas. We have a similar problem here. Have to call the Victoria Elect. Co-Op and have them trouble shoot.

Reactions: Rwb and CB590
Swr could be from lowering the antenna paper on mine says bottom of antenna should be 10 feet above the roof line to work proper.mine is about a foot above roofline.thats why im think9n of going up 1 more joint of pipe.but mine works fine as i got it

Have you tested the coax and connectors see if everything is ok?

Yes. Everything tested and new.

Antenna base is 16' up.. tip is at 32'.

Working on getting a ground rod put in soon..

After grounding antenna I will reset the tuning rings to get it flat again.

There isn't a point to playing with the rings yet until ground rod is in place and possibly a second choke just outside the shack wall imo.. currently only on choke in place just under antenna feed point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.