1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Copper wire antenna free space gain,

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by cbkidd1, Jul 12, 2019.

1. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

I want to build a copper wire antenna. And was wondering if there a way to increase the dBi free space gain? By making the wire longer or by some other means that would that increase the dBi? Are there any books that go into detail about how to increase free space gain of copper wire antennas? I appreciate any help I could get on this topic. 73,

2. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

ARRL antenna book

AS a general rule, adding length will tend to develop lobes that focus the power in certain directions at the expense of other directions.https://ftp.unpad.ac.id/orari/libra...ant/docs/Introducing the All-Band Doublet.htm

This is not actual "gain" per se, it is "directivity".
    You can also add radials (for efficiency).
    change the conductor diameter..
    ect,ect,ect.

Shadetree Mechanic and The DB like this.
  3. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

What kind of antenna, what band/freq?
    To increase gain you can change shape, make array, phase, stack etc.
    Mike

4. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

The recent versions of the ARRL Antenna Book talked about wire antennas, any thing from 15 edition on should be fine, and likely the versions before that as well. They don't refer to the gain of these antennas in free space, pretty much no one does, so I am curious as to why you asked about this?

I guess the better question is what are you trying to achieve?

The DB

5. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Zepp,,double extended zepp etc etc.
    As mentioned in previous posts is does not increase "gain" it just re directs the signal into a tighter lobe at the expense of adding nulls in other areas.
    Bobtail curtain, half square, just a few off the top of my head.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

buy the book , make the movie...

page284-page-001.jpg

So once again let us go back to school...

Imagine a point (RF) source.
    This source is located within a sphere at its center.
    The surface of the sphere is defined as unity gain.
    This sphere is all the gain you have.
    There is no more.

To get any gain in any direction other that unity it has to come from within the volume of the sphere.
    So any "gain" that you get was already there.
    It is just being taken form the volume of the sphere and reapplied elsewhere.
    Hopefully in a useful direction.

Myself , I am more concerned with nulls.
    If I'm taking gain away from an elevation or direction I want to make sure it isn't from somewhere I want or need it .

It's called the Antenna Handbook. You need a copy.

School's out ...

ad nausea

The feed point impedance of either of these examples will be on the order of several thousand ohms. You will need to investigate a "stub match" at the feed point to get it to a reasonable level for ladder or window line. Coax feed is not recommended.

#6 kopcicle, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

Thanks to everyone for there knowledge and explanations on wire antennas. I was thinking about maybe trying to build a wire antenna for talking DX. Instead of spending a lot of money on buying a beam. And started wondering if by making the wire antenna longer or making some kind of shape out of it or doing both. That you could raise the gain and not need to spend so much money on buying a beam. And have just as good if not better antenna? Just an ideal. 73,

8. wavrider

google up an N4GG array,, I built one for 11 meters and it was a surprise how well it worked long haul DX,

http://ars.nc4fb.org/antenna-articles/n4gg1.pdf

here is the link

Rick330man likes this.
  9. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Yah, yes the old Bobtail antenna...then I'll add the W8JK wire Beam plus add the LAZY H antenna:ROFLMAO:

wavrider likes this.
  10. oldtymer

oldtymer Active Member

Don't forget the Sterba Curtain.

11. wavrider

I never played with a sturba curtain, I did read about it on W8JI site, probably why I never played with one

12. oldtymer

oldtymer Active Member

they work, just a PITA to build

13. Mudduckmobile

Mudduckmobile Well-Known Member

You might find this fun. I did, and there's a lot of neat things to learn here.
    http://www.k7mem.com/Ant_Fat_Dipole.html
    "Fat Dipole" By Martin E. Meserve

14. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

Wavrider, Thanks for the link. I own my own home so I don't need to worry about hiding anything. Unlike years ago when renting. I had one neighbor who called the FCC about my radio interference. That is something I will never forget lol. Thanks, Mudduckmod for the link. You are right there is a lot of info on this one. Nice to see I am not the only one that likes to try and build my own antennas. Both links are helpful. Wonder why no one gives the gain of the homemade wire antennas? 73,