• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

copper

MaunaLoa

May 9, 2005
Hawaii
hvo.wr.usgs.gov
HOW can they get away with demanding stuff get removed on CBTRICKS? That is JUST WRONG. Two posts were removed because supposedly they threatened CBTRICKS with a law suit if they were not removed. Supposedly a few users posted their poor buying experiences with copper and they did not like that. Where is the ability to have freedom and tell your experience. Its a sad day that copper got away with that crap.

LONG LIVE WWRF!

Internt sites are not under "free speech" issues. They are owned by whoever pays the bills and that person gets to make the rules as he or she wants. That includes this particular site, too.

You can yell about it all you like, but reality is the siite owner has that power and it is perfectly legal for him or her to delete posts for whatever reason they may choose. If the site admin here were to decide that only the members of the club could post messages here, then he can.

You dont understand the situation bandaid kid. The didnt delete it from their own site, They demanded it be removed from another forum. Specifically CBtricks.

Oh Christ, here we go again...

Let me explain how this works....

People have bad experiences with Copper, so they post them. Some of those experiences were realized first-hand, some are rumors. Once one person starts a thread, many more jump in to give their $.02. Things get cookin', and we're off and running.

As it goes on, one of the Copper people reads it and comes unglued. They send an E-Mail to the forum admin asking for it to be removed. The forum admin tells them that, no, the thread is going to stay.

Several more days go by and the Copper people again, send an E-Mail to the forum admins threatening legal action if the thread is not deleted.

This is dealt with in one of two ways.

1. They tell Copper to go piss up a rope, (which never happens).
2. They decide it isn't worth the aggravation and the whining, and remove the post.

Subsequently, anyone who posted in the thread is sent a caustic E-Mail, or in my case a PM, threatening some sort of retribution for their posts. This can happen to anyone, but it's mostly members of the Copper Forum as well who are spanked by the Man. Some of them are even their supposed friends who may or may not have posted negatively about Copper.

Copper goes back to their side of the tracks, the disgruntled poster goes back to his side of the tracks and it's back to business as usual.

BUT!

The people who had complaints, who can't get anything done about them just fume about it even more, perpetuating this ongoing cycle, which leads to even more animosity towards Copper. (re-read the last sentence CM)

Eventually all is well again, until the next time someone gets pissed off at Copper, which reminds the original dude how pissed off he was, and BLAMMO! Back to square one.

Bottom Line (read this too CM): It is better to let people air their grievances out in the open, and as a business, address these issues publically to put the rumors to bed. It is NOT a good idea to use strong-arm tactics and threats, as that makes said CB radio dealer look all the more guilty of accused infractions.

And that my friends, is how a typical Copper bitch fest operates. Make this post a sticky, so we can all revert back to it for the next 30 years...

That is how I meant to say it, copper allegedly demanded CBTRICKS remove the posts about them or suffer legal action. That my friend is not right. Sure the admins at cbtricks has the right to do as they wish, but they shouldnt be bullied into it should they?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went down. But you hafta remember two things...

1. CBTricks couldn't verify the accuracy of the claims made by its posters. Hence the libel claims.

2. CBTricks has every right to turn over and do what they feel is best to rid themselves of the stress and aggravation.

Ever been pecked to death by a duck? :LOL:

Okay, thanks for the clarification. If I had a site where people could talk about anything and someone threatened to sue me for messages left by others, I would ignore it. Wouldn't even answer it.

The person bringing the suit has to prove the statements were false plus prove there was malice involved, I think. But if the site owner feels cowed by the threats and makes a new rule, well, that's a shame, but it's his site.

Unfortunately that is the law. If you are the owner or admin of a message board, you ARE responsible for its content. Whether you agree with it or not, or whether or not it's true or not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.