• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CP-1 Top Gun Compressor: Scam or Science?

CTStallion

Aug 29, 2010
Connecticut
I've done some by-the-ear, and by-the-meter, and over-the-air testing of the CP-1 Top Gun Compressor from Top Gun Technologies Welcome To Top Gun Technologies
and have really NOT noticed any discernible results on either AM or SSB (where I expected it to perform.)

The two (2) radios I've installed them in thus far are a single final Superstar 3900, and a dual final Galaxy DX-949.

In the past, I have used VOGAD's, RF Clipping, external microphone mounted AF Clipping devices, and even the old SP-1A speech processor (much tougher to install than the CP-1), and with all of the aforementioned units I did INDEED see (on the PEP wattmeter), hear, and/or was told that they made a significant difference in my SSB signal.

Keep in mind that the 2 radios I installed the CP-1's in were WORKED for performance, perfectly aligned, in good operating order, and were certainly NOT factory stock. Also of note, in BOTH kits I received from Top Gun Tec there was a little yellow envelope with a 100K ohm resistor in it with instructions which read: "For better performance add this resistor in series with the yellow wire", which of course, I did. (For those of you that don't know, the CP-1 Compressor is basically a little black rectangle with two wires protruding from it: a yellow wire and an orange wire. Depending upon the radio model, you basically remove a resistor or two, install the two wires of the CP-1 across your Mic Preamp circuit IC pins 1 & 2.)

So, my question is: do any of YOU have any "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES" with the CP-1?

Yea or Nay?

Reactions: tecnicoloco

Nay.

I have a Magnum 257 (mosfet, non-HP version) that sounded awful, no matter what mic I used on it, people complained of muddy, flat, bassy audio on SSB. I removed the CP-1 that it had in the radio and it fixed the issue.

A lot of the locals that have or have had Magnum radios always send them to me to get the CP-1 removed if they use the radio on SSB, because of the complaints of muddy audio. I think the CP-1 uses a little too much compression for SSB use.

Some people like the CP-1, especially for AM.

Just my .02, tho. :tongue:

~Cheers~

Nay.

I have a Magnum 257 (mosfet, non-HP version) that sounded awful, no matter what mic I used on it, people complained of muddy, flat, bassy audio on SSB. I removed the CP-1 that it had in the radio and it fixed the issue.

A lot of the locals that have or have had Magnum radios always send them to me to get the CP-1 removed if they use the radio on SSB, because of the complaints of muddy audio. I think the CP-1 uses a little too much compression for SSB use.

~Cheers~

Hmmm, I wonder if that's WHY they have NOW incorporated the resistor?

Good to know..... THANKS!

Nay.

~Cheers~

A lot of the locals here had the TopGun removed or disabled in their Magnum radios as well. One guy in particular had an S9, and it sounded like garbage (he bought the radio new, so it wasn't a hacked piece); the local tech disabled the TopGun and that radio sounds great to this day.

Reactions: 1 person
I still haven't installed my CP-1 for those very reasons. On my Galaxy DX-959, resistors R186&R176 are the two resistors on pins 1&2 of the first audio amp that would have to be removed in order to install the CP-1.
But now, I'm just going to match up my SRA-198 to my 959 for 100% audio. :D

P.S. I was thinking along those lines about the additional resistor.

Last edited:
i got it on my magnum delta force [orignal] it does /will make adio sound muffled.
my tech says it over modulating th radio mainly in ssb mode.he used a scope
and turned down the audio on the echeo board , then a tad bit on the amc vr
seems better now . but if i had it removed then tuned radio back up to par
probaly sound just as good

Looks like by removing resistors R176&R186 and soldering the CP-1 leads on pins 1&2 of IC7 affects Q39 on my 959 if I'm not mistaken. Also,R175 back to pin 8 On IC7?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I had bob install one in my Delta force when I bought it from him. Nothing but good reports ...........

Magnum radio's and the Top Gun Compressor can and do sound great when the radio is properly tuned after. Bob's cb and the Radio Shop in CA are two examples of shops that can get it right. Sparky's cb was another place that had great results as a mod to many radio's.

It comes down to what method of compression or improved audio the tech prefers. As an example, Doug who runs Custom CB and used to work at Sparky's was not a big fan of the Top Gun stuff. He preferred his own mods.

Another thing to check out is the SP-1A speech processor they sell. I have heard several radio's with that installed and it sounded great. Any more these days I tend to go with a factory tune and alignment, the mic of my choice, and just have fun talking.

Last edited:
Magnum radio's and the Top Gun Compressor can and do sound great when the radio is properly tuned after. Bob's cb and the Radio Shop in CA are two examples of shops that can get it right. Sparky's cb was another place that had great results as a mod to many radio's.

It comes down to what method of compression or improved audio the tech prefers. As an example, Doug who runs Custom CB and used to work at Sparky's was not a big fan of the Top Gun stuff. He preferred his own mods.

Another thing to check out is the SP-1A speech processor they sell. I have heard several radio's with that installed and it sounded great. Any more these days I tend to go with a factory tune and alignment, the mic of my choice, and just have fun talking.

Yup, the SP-1A is the "real" deal, but tremendously more difficult to install. Got one years ago, (probably 1998 timeframe?) from John Mahoney at Panther Electronics in Nashua, NH (now defunct) and installed it in my Midland 79-290. I'll tell ya what, that thing, with the SP-1A and dual 1969 finals, and decent heatsinking would do all of 50W SSB PEP all day long and had a 'presence' on SSB (at least to the locals.) Had to do a LOT of work with the mic jack wiring however in order to get the SP-1A to function properly in that rig. Still not so sure if the 'juice was worth the squeeze' or not.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.