• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CP-1 Top Gun Compressor: Scam or Science?

In my experience in the Galaxy radios I tried it in (959/979) it didn't really make any measurable difference. Honestly I wouldn't bother with them again. In certain radios with certain circuits set up in a certain manner I'm sure they can serve a purpose but in most cases I don't think the time/money benefit for most people is going to provide the results they are seeking.

I think part of the problem is that the way these are advertised people are expecting big things out of them (example of the difference between a cheap stock microphone and adding a D104) but in reality the job it performs (or is advertised to perform) is to prevent the squaring of the waveform and provide leveling of the audio so that the results are going to be much less distinct than one might expect.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
In my experience in the Galaxy radios I tried it in (959/979) it didn't really make any measurable difference. Honestly I wouldn't bother with them again. In certain radios with certain circuits set up in a certain manner I'm sure they can serve a purpose but in most cases I don't think the time/money benefit for most people is going to provide the results they are seeking.

I put one in a RCI 6900F25 and after testing for a few days, I removed it.
I did not like how the Audio sounded.

Jeff

My 959 sounds loud and marginally decent as long as it doesn't get turned up over 100% modulation. My best sounding radio is my DTB tuned CRE-8900. There again,I don't think the 959 needs any help in the modulation department.

I have this mod done in my new galaxy 99v2, I don't want it as it's been giving me lots of audio problems.

How do I remove it? Or is best to have a shop remove it. I had bells cb install it when I bought the radio.

I have this mod done in my new galaxy 99v2, I don't want it as it's been giving me lots of audio problems.

How do I remove it? Or is best to have a shop remove it. I had bells cb install it when I bought the radio.

Some shops understand how to and can properly tune a radio with this, some cannot. Why this is I do not know but Bob's cb has consistantly got it right as does the radio shop in CA.

Did Bell's clip anything? Are you running a power mic? Do you have the mic gain cranked? You might have to mess with different mics and settings to get it dialed in. That or ship the radio off and have it removed and re-tuned.

To my knowledge nothing was clipped, no power Mic. I use either an old rk 56 or new ranger sta198.

Mic gain is normally 3/4 to wide open depending on the mic being used.

Associated problems have been a constant buzz in the out going signal if I'm using an amp, ts 350 ts 500, or sweet sixteen, makes no difference, turn the amp off, the buzz or humm goes away.

The modulation light comes on even when the mic is in the holder not being used.

I have concerns about the mod causing

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.