• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB 2021 This Weekend

At least the ft8 guy used his own station.

I use my home station daily and mobile most times if more than 1 hour drive.
I just don't qualify contacts made by my desktop or smarta$$ phone computer as radio when connecting in squeals and whistles to somebody else's computer sluing back the same garbage.
MHO

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
where you all at any other time?

On everyday...your just not using the same frequencies. I have 4 multiband/multimode transceivers on my bench. I have at least one running 8-10 hours+ everyday.(y)
I work 3 to 8 states every morning near Sunrise +/- on 6 meters SSB/CW.:whistle::D

Contesting not only improves your operating skill, but equipment usage and various antenna utilization. Most people who contest on a regular basis are exceptional operators.
Try and make 100+ contacts on SSB in a 1 hour time frame, and have ALL contact information correct to a point it can be submitted for approval, and graded as such.
Not that easy even with today's logging software!!!!
Again MHO

I use my home station daily and mobile most times if more than 1 hour drive.
I just don't qualify contacts made by my desktop or smarta$$ phone computer as radio when connecting in squeals and whistles to somebody else's computer sluing back the same garbage.
MHO
Jeez, I figured you of all people would be tolerant of progressiveness.

I am not a contester but do enjoy the phone ones. They let me hit more countries that I haven't got and also just plain fun to see how many different ones I can get. Like BJ said hitting 100 in an hour and getting all that right is tough as hell.

Reactions: Blackcat630
I am very progressive, and tolerant to a point.
I however have said this on multiple occasions, if using "DIGI" modes using low power (below 50 watts) is your best opportunity to operate FINE.
This gets you "on the air" kinda!

Interesting how you basically described how most CW ops feel about SSB, you just plug some stuff in and start blabbering. The difference is most CW ops won't make fun of other modes without being provoked.

$20 says there are ft8 guys that think echolink isn't real radio.

Reactions: Rwb
HMMMM,,
All modes have their use and place in the hobby.
some more challenging and rewarding than others.
I guess it is up to the individual to decide which one they prefer.
Sort of like the rich guying buying a speedboat vs the working guy who builds his own boat.
One put the time in for the love of the hobby and challenge to make something hisself.
the other one just paid for the right to brag.

Using the Pc to monitor, send transmissions and receive signals does not require any skill, or technique.
hook up a few cables, execute some software and wham one claims to be making contact.
the operator DID NOT make the contact, the pc did running the software, no denying that.

I have no dog in this hunt and if the digi guys want to call that a contact, hey its your ham fantasy enjoy it who am I to say it is not a contact.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I am very progressive, and tolerant to a point.
I however have said this on multiple occasions, if using "DIGI" modes using low power (below 50 watts) is your best opportunity to operate FINE.
This gets you "on the air" kinda!

Here’s how we did:
Multi-op/Single Transmitter Class

Qso’s – 1,957

QSO Pts – 5,531

Multipliers – 553

Total Score – 3,058,643

Best showing ever in the CQWW SSB contest for our team. :D
In 2015, we did 2.9 mil+.

Bands were much better this year.
15 meters was a good performer, with good action during Daylight hours on 10 meters.
The North/South path from Mid-West was fairly strong.
Hope all enjoyed getting some "new" ones !
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.