• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 now available in U.S.

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
I just got an email from Univercom that first batch of CRE 8900's for the U.S. arrived today!

One of the larger distributors has them and we should see them available online and in shops anytime. Don't know the MSRP yet.

There have already been some updates, I believe the display has been updated to be a bit brighter, they updated the software and so some of the functions will work by band, rather than individual frequencies (like you can turn on the roger beep and it will work for the whole band rather than having to turn it on for every channel).

I've been running this radio as my primary radio since I mounted in in the dash and I have to say it's quickly becoming one of my favorite radios. (Road Devil microphone has gotten really good reports matched up with it.).

Funny, I think I just posted about this the other day. Probably going to pick one of these up myself.

RT307

I was told that because of the type of updating they did that I would not be able to update the software on my original version.

I was a bit disappointed about that but the original still does a good job so I'm not going to moan too much. I think I'm actually going to pick up the newer version as well.

seems like it will be a nice compact radio for the challenges of mounting in the newer vehicles. would it match up with a klv 203.

Pricing - from what I've heard my guess is they will retail between $279 and $299.

Close to a RCI-2950DX at many shops maybe a tad more.

And Univercom did confirm these have the updated brighter display and updated software.

Reactions: 1 person
seems like it will be a nice compact radio for the challenges of mounting in the newer vehicles. would it match up with a klv 203.

I recently picked up the "P" version with the preamp for 50 bucks at H and Y. Pretty darned cool little amplifier, and would certainly go with the compactness of the CRE.

RT307

Got the newer version - display is brighter than the original which is nice, that was one of my complaints about the first one in bright sunlight.

Software has been updated so if you press nb/anl it works for the entire bank of frequencies rather than having to press it on every frequency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio