• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRT SS 7900V Turbo (latest version) Service Mode? (And more tricks)...

Based on what you have said, I would strongly suggest that you do not mess with any adjustments in this radio.

The question is always: what power meter are you using, and what is your test setup?

(If I had to guess, I would say your radio is fine, and your power meter is not a real PEP meter (which is why you are not seeing the power you expect). This is almost always the case here. But maybe I shouldn't assume. ; )

Either way, you should stay out of that service menu unless you have access to proper test equipment. Otherwise this usually ends badly. (If you don't believe me, have a search and you will see how many people thought they knew better, and then had to ask for help (or send the radio off for repair) because they messed up their alignment settings and then couldn't get them back to how they were)...
Sing it!

Reactions: BC Coyote and Pez
I am using a Dosy TC-4001 meter On the Dosy meter showing 35 to 40 on am/fm/ssb PEP on THE RADIO METER AM =70 FM =50 SSB = 40 to 45 I plan on getting a signal generator. By the way Thank you for the help and advice.

I am using a Dosy TC-4001 meter On the Dosy meter showing 35 to 40 on am/fm/ssb PEP on THE RADIO METER AM =70 FM =50 SSB = 40 to 45 I plan on getting a signal generator. By the way Thank you for the help and advice.
If you are worried about power, the best thing you could do is get yourself a decent peak reading power meter. I can recommend this one (high accuracy, good price): https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mtn-swrmeter

I have a coupe of these. They compare favourably to an LP-100A and Bird43 with peak kit.

Scotts Radios on YouTube did a good reviews on the Monitor Sensors meter recently.

The DOSY is not accurate for PEP tests.

My radio from factory is showing 35 to 40 watts out with an external meter. Not the 60 that people are saying
The difference between 40 watts and 60 on the receive end is so tiny as to not even be detectable ! You need to quadruple power to get a 1 S unit increase on receive, so in this case to get the 1 S unit you would need to go from 40 to 160 watts. So you can see that going from 40 to 60 is insignificant !

People put WAY to much emphasis on getting out every single watt of power, when making improvements to the antenna system will make a MUCH bigger improvement every time.............

Reactions: Pez
I don't know about the 5555, but the 6666 and 9900 have a 10% duty cycle.
They are not brick on the key radios, mine tends to run very warm on FM at full tilt.
The "best" option is to reduce the power of the radio and use a small amp to increase duty cycle.

Jeff

reduce the power of the radio and use a small amp to increase duty cycle.
That's how I run my 5555N2 in all modes. On FM the radio is putting out about 3 watts so stays nice and cool. The Palomar 200 does the heavy lifting and since I added a nice quiet fan to it, it stays nice and cool too ! The amp is class A/B biased and I get about 150 out on FM.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.