• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRT SS 7900V Turbo (latest version) Service Mode? (And more tricks)...

That is not a common problem. It is unlikely to be a firmware issue, (but it is not impossible).

Have you been using an aftermarket mic on this radio?

FYI, the BOOT menu is only for loading new firmware. Entering than mode wont do anything to help you unfortunately.

Assuming you are in 26 division, IF CRT ever respond to you, they might be able to help if you are lucky.

Thank you for this. I do occasionally use a Turner +3b with it, never had an issue until now. It's never been opened up so in theory is covered by the 2 year warranty. It's annoying as to send it back is risky in itself. I guess it could be as simple as a loose internal ribbon cable or something like.

Thank you for this. I do occasionally use a Turner +3b with it, never had an issue until now. It's never been opened up so in theory is covered by the 2 year warranty. It's annoying as to send it back is risky in itself. I guess it could be as simple as a loose internal ribbon cable or something like.
Do the mic functions work correctly? Channel up/down?

No transmit, plus up/down buttons not working sure makes it sound like the issue must be in either the mic or the mic plug or jack.
It does have one of those crappy RJ-45 connectors........ Are you using a mic adapter of some sort to match it to the Turner +3 ? If it doesn't transmit with either mic then the problem is almost certainly the mic jack.

No transmit, plus up/down buttons not working sure makes it sound like the issue must be in either the mic or the mic plug or jack.
It does have one of those crappy RJ-45 connectors........ Are you using a mic adapter of some sort to match it to the Turner +3 ? If it doesn't transmit with either mic then the problem is almost certainly the mic jack.
Many thanks. Yes using adapter. Neither mic working. I've gently cleaned connectors too. Looking online at internal pics it looks to as if there's a 4 way cable from behind mic socket to main board. Can anyone please confirm if this carries the mic signal and switching?

Many thanks. Yes using adapter. Neither mic working. I've gently cleaned connectors too. Looking online at internal pics it looks to as if there's a 4 way cable from behind mic socket to main board. Can anyone please confirm if this carries the mic signal and switching?
To clarify stock mic in use with no adaptor.

First gen Stryker 955's occasionally had issues where the connector pins would corrode. The point from the face pcb to the main pcb and it would cause similar faults. Disconnect, clean with isopropyl and reconnect can fix the issue on a Stryker (also made by qixiang)

I would check those connections to start with.

(I don't think this below relates but food for thought)
On another radio, early at-6666 they would burn the mic connector ground trace which was remedied by jumping a new ground path via a wire jumper. That also caused a similar issue. That was remedied by Anytone in the more recent q6 by adding a resistor in the mic pcb itself.

First gen Stryker 955's occasionally had issues where the connector pins would corrode. The point from the face pcb to the main pcb and it would cause similar faults. Disconnect, clean with isopropyl and reconnect can fix the issue on a Stryker (also made by qixiang)

I would check those connections to start with.

(I don't think this below relates but food for thought)
On another radio, early at-6666 they would burn the mic connector ground trace which was remedied by jumping a new ground path via a wire jumper. That also caused a similar issue. That was remedied by Anytone in the more recent q6 by adding a resistor in the mic pcb itself.
Many thanks. I think rather than risk sending back to France under warranty (although this is another sore point as I think the retailer should replace and take up with CRT direct) I will open her up and check those connections. It is sounding like a poor connection. A week earlier it was fine, then stored away as usual - following week fault appeared.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Many thanks. I think rather than risk sending back to France under warranty (although this is another sore point as I think the retailer should replace and take up with CRT direct) I will open her up and check those connections. It is sounding like a poor connection. A week earlier it was fine, then stored away as usual - following week fault appeared.
OK so for anyone interested I have now checked the mic connector and confirm continuity to the main board. Shorting out the PTT line to ground (as the mic does) still does not result in TX.
It is possibly unrelated but there is a transistor TIP 36C, I am wondering if this controls TX switching. Investigations continue, I will replace the transistor anyway just in case my hunch is correct.

Reactions: Eldorado828
OK so for anyone interested I have now checked the mic connector and confirm continuity to the main board. Shorting out the PTT line to ground (as the mic does) still does not result in TX.
It is possibly unrelated but there is a transistor TIP 36C, I am wondering if this controls TX switching. Investigations continue, I will replace the transistor anyway just in case my hunch is correct.
Latest. I have sent it to a pro. Mainly as I suspect one or more transistors and I am not experienced with SMD components. For anyone with same issues I will share here once I know precisely what has failed and maybe why. I have a related question if any can help? Given you can mod to 11m with software why would anyone hard mod inside the radio? Lots of instructions on the hard mod out there but it's an easy button sequence on the radio. Am I missing something?

Latest. I have sent it to a pro. Mainly as I suspect one or more transistors and I am not experienced with SMD components. For anyone with same issues I will share here once I know precisely what has failed and maybe why. I have a related question if any can help? Given you can mod to 11m with software why would anyone hard mod inside the radio? Lots of instructions on the hard mod out there but it's an easy button sequence on the radio. Am I missing something?
Early and late models, maybe?

I have both the 7900v turbo and the 5555n2. The q5n2 requires the wire jumper mod but the 7900v only requires the button sequence and it has to do with the firmware for that radio.

Why anyone would do that to the 7900v is a good question because it doesn't need it.

Reactions: BC Coyote
I have both the 7900v turbo and the 5555n2. The q5n2 requires the wire jumper mod but the 7900v only requires the button sequence and it has to do with the firmware for that radio.

Why anyone would do that to the 7900v is a good question because it doesn't need it.
The 7900v doesn't have the jumper and associated components installed on the PCB. As mentioned by @Eldorado828 the 7900v is band selectable via its firmware, while the AT-5555Nii is selected via the installed hardware jumper.

I know this is a different subject. But to adjust the am ssb fm power on the crt ss 7900v turbo do you need a signal generator? My radio from factory is showing 35 to 40 watts out with an external meter. Not the 60 that people are saying. Back in the old days we would just audio into the mic and adjust.

I know this is a different subject. But to adjust the am ssb fm power on the crt ss 7900v turbo do you need a signal generator? My radio from factory is showing 35 to 40 watts out with an external meter. Not the 60 that people are saying. Back in the old days we would just audio into the mic and adjust.
Based on what you have said, I would strongly suggest that you do not mess with any adjustments in this radio.

The question is always: what power meter are you using, and what is your test setup?

(If I had to guess, I would say your radio is fine, and your power meter is not a real PEP meter (which is why you are not seeing the power you expect). This is almost always the case here. But maybe I shouldn't assume. ; )

Either way, you should stay out of that service menu unless you have access to proper test equipment. Otherwise this usually ends badly. (If you don't believe me, have a search and you will see how many people thought they knew better, and then had to ask for help (or send the radio off for repair) because they messed up their alignment settings and then couldn't get them back to how they were)...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.