• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cushcraft MA8040V

An older dude near me has one. He seems to like it. Says it works decent DX, he's a CW only OP. I drive by his house on the way to work and have seen that baby swinging in the wind many a time. It's top heavy, but has been up a long time and survived several ice coatings.

I know he doubled up on the radials.

I have one in my back yard and I am in process of comparing it to the Hustler 6BTV that I already had up. On 40 meters it will eat the Hustler's lunch and steal all its milk money. On 80 meter it is the only antenna I have ever worked DX on for that band and that is with minimal radials as well. One person can handle it to erect it if the wind is not blowing, but if your location is windy you might opt for a tilt base for it. 40 Meter the SWR is good across the band using the radios tuner. On 80 I can get about 150 KHz which is not bad and can get even more if you can tolerate 2.5 to 1 SWR.

Love the analogy KG0MN lol
I've already picked it up, just waiting to assemble it. A couple things i have run into so far is 1) the 80 coil's long lead was about 1.5" short and 2) i had to bore out the upper fibreglass section to accommodate the bushing.
I "might" get a couple of 65' radials out of it, but i'll prob be stuck with the 10x33'.

Appreciate your "in use" feedback sir

k, so i have another question regarding this type of antenna...

regarding grounding...not ground plane but an actual ground.
the whole upper section is core side of the coax, the bottom couple of inches and the ground plane work off of the braid. I've heard a lot of talk about (in the case of imax/a99 etc etc and isolation from any tower) to run an actual ground from the - side of that type of antenna (which is a common coax connector to what appears to be a naturally shorted antenna) to ground to dissipate static build up, reducing it's attraction to lightning. What does one do in the case of a 30' vertical where the upper portion of the antenna is totally ground-free? would you run a rod nearby and an alligator clip where you hope you're close to home and can short out the "whip" before shyt hits the proverbial fan? or am i missing sumtin'?

thanks!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.