• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Custom Amplifier

As for the issue of echo, you guys do realize that we are talking about just an amp don't you? Since echo is an audio issue it has to be developed in the transmitter that is driving the amp. There is no such thing as an amp with echo.

As for the issue of echo, you guys do realize that we are talking about just an amp don't you? Since echo is an audio issue it has to be developed in the transmitter that is driving the amp. There is no such thing as an amp with echo.

Well......................duhhhhh!!!!:LOL:

I did have an amp that had an echo. The magnetic contactor would make a decent amount of racket when it engaged and setting in a room with nothing on the walls it would resonate the room pretty good.(y)

Not OFF just switchable. Some amateur amps would run class C in CW mode and AB or B in SSB mode. More efficiency and less heat. Proper operating class for the associated mode.

Which models do this? I can't think of any hammy hambone amps that change conduction angle from class C to class AB or B.

Oh don't misunderstand. It certainly should work. But it's kinda 'much' isn't it? Over-kill?
- 'Doc

I don't think it's overkill. I have this exact setup on several of my amps at home and several at work.

Some amateur amps would run class C in CW mode and AB or B in SSB mode.

Everything i read about CW and class C points to key clicks.
The bandwidth of a CW signal depends on how fast the carrier power rises and falls.
Could be that the non-linearity of a class C amp could cause key clicks due to the non-linearity changing the rise-fall keying shape.

Well from some of the unbelievably questionable things I have seen people post both on this forum, as well as others, I just had to make sure.

I agree. It would be bad if someone tried to install a noise toy in their SB 220 because they read about it here. They might even drill a hole in the cover.:headbang

might as well go ahead and put nitro knobs with a mp3 player and a video display on it too . :D

Everything i read about CW and class C points to key clicks.
The bandwidth of a CW signal depends on how fast the carrier power rises and falls.
Could be that the non-linearity of a class C amp could cause key clicks due to the non-linearity changing the rise-fall keying shape.

Honestly I can't pull a model out of the air right now but I do remember reading some articles,sale brochures etc, that did say about the bias changing when switching from CW to SSB modes.IIRC it was some of the older tube amps (Collins maybe?) One Yeasu radio actually switches bias to run pure class A if the operator chooses. It runs 200 watts in AB but only 75 watts in class A.

my opinion on switchable bias amps..........
why compromise youre signals integrity when even doubling power has minimal effect ?

I believe the only reason the amateur amps did it was to lower the voltage on the tubes,run them lighter in a carrier mode, and still achieve nearly the same power output. It was for efficiency basically. In CW or FM mode there is nothing wrong with class C but for any voice mode you need at the very least class B and then there is still some distortion but it is considered an even trade-off.Very few amps ever ran class B but here is a surprise for a lot of folks. A tube type AM broadcast transmitter runs the RF finals in class C and the modulator tubes in class B yet still attains a very low distortion figure due to lots of negative feedback in the audio section and by using plate modulation.

why would you want to switch the bias off?

I was thinking more along the lines of how much you guys over there like to run class c talking to each other on AM on maximum power and how much many of you think loud distorted audio sounds cool,but when you come onto SSB to talk to the rest of the world it would be nice if you ran class ab and stayed linear so we don't have to listen to you across 50 khz at the same time,seeing as SSB is meant to be a narrowband mode of operation.

Hell,you might even get to like being complimeted on your nice clear audio.

your pulling my chain ..right ??

a quality built in echo would give the appearance of that "BIG BASE STATION" sound
you would be the envy of most your friends and ALL the truck drivers !!

BREAK, BREAK !!

Are you on strong drugs,dearie me,big base station sound,wtf is that?:headbang:headbang

Echo makes people sound like an egotistical @sshole :thumbdown::thumbdown:,people don't envy it,they sit and laugh at the little boy playing with his noise toy. :LOL::LOL:

Quality and echo are words rarely found in the same sentence.

Are you on strong drugs,dearie me,big base station sound,wtf is that?:headbang:headbang

Echo makes people sound like an egotistical @sshole :thumbdown::thumbdown:,people don't envy it,they sit and laugh at the little boy playing with his noise toy. :LOL::LOL:

Quality and echo are words rarely found in the same sentence.

Mack keekles :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.