• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Custom Amplifier

I finally found a model that has switchable bias and it's not nearly as old as I thought. I found it by accident while looking for something else.

Ameritron

Yes, they switch the bias but only between AB2 and B. Still not class C.

Many older amplifiers like the SB-220/1 had the CW position to comply with the old 1KWDC input power rule and the SSB position which was 2KW input or "twice average DC." The idea was to be able to legally load the amplifier on the air at 1KW and have the same plate load impedance when going to single slimeband.

Looking at the low idling current of an SB-220 in the CW position, the Ameritron doesn't seem to be doing anything not used before.

OTOH there were some hammy transmitters that could double as ssb "linears." Linear being a relative term here. The Johnson 500 would operate in class C on CW, class C plate modulated on AM or AB2 in the SSB position. The Valiant had a similar arrangement. Both were crappy linear amplifiers on ssb.

This all goes out the window because input power is no longer limited by the rules.

I still think the echo would fit in there somewhere !!!!!!!!

DSC01320.jpg

I still think the echo would fit in there somewhere !!!!!!!!

DSC01320.jpg
Whats that a Dave? Tube? I wouldn't be caught dead running that crap. (echo noise toy) The type cber that run that crap can't talk on the super bowl you find them on Seaseme Street (ch19) where i'm from the run of the mill cber does not run a 3cx3000 tube or similar tube type equipment either.;)

Moi? Mais non...

Très bien,mon ami. Now will you stop with the french? I had to look up how to spell "Très bien". :D I forgot which way the accent was on the "e". :confused:

Speaking of speaking french,man what a time we had when passing thru Quebec this past summer. I may as well have been in Europe because it was all Greek to me. :D

When are we going to see the photos of this custom built amp? You have been given many suggestions..........now it is time to put them to use. Get it going and post some inside and outside pics for all the world to see.

When are we going to see the photos of this custom built amp? You have been given many suggestions..........now it is time to put them to use. Get it going and post some inside and outside pics for all the world to see.
Here are some initial pics... I had the builder add some parasitic supression after the fact. My pocket was not deep enough to get some of the features suggested:unsure:. Here is a video of the output test. (y)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.