• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CW Decoder and Sender

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Below is a link for a computer software-freeware that uses your soundcard to decode CW-CWGET. It works great ! I have been listening to CW and reading the conversations for the past couple days. I downloaded the partner software-CWTYPE and had conversations with Jonbah last night. I am learning code but this is a quick way to at least commincate with CW ops until then. :D

http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwget/

Ron sure sounds like a great program.Now do you use it with your yaesu 757? And is this through CAT system? So one would need interface cable from pc to radio? Is this how it works?

949Jake, I now have the G4FON program.Great morse code trainer,i will put it to good use.
73,Stu

Novaker,
No interface needed. For the 757 I have 2 audio cables run. One from the headphone or external speaker to the mic input of the sound card. The other to the fsk in the back of the radio to the line out of the sound card. You have to disable the mic Below is how I did my mic-

What I did with the mic works pretty neat. I have a MD-1. I disconnected the mic from the mic base and left the base connected to the radio. I use the PTT on the mic base to Tx the computer mic

You can bypass using the FSK by just keying down the mic in front of your computer speaker when you TX the code. It works great just like that. That is how I send with my RCI-5054dx.

Nice Site Ron, I am not a ham but I am always wanting to learn.

Can you and stu maybe put up some links for people to check out about learning code. There are probably some members that might want to learn. And this would help them.

http://www.cq2k.com/

This is the one I use. It makes it very simmple by helping you learn the sound alikes for the letters. I downloaded it. Once you download it save your activation email with your serial # to your email for easy access if you ever have a computer crash. If you have a crash just redownload it and retrieve yor # and reset your computer date to the date of the email then re insert the # to the new download then return your date to normal.

Jake- I'll check the one out you posted ;)

Ron, OK got it sounds easy.Now i use my ext.speaker output,and dont have seperate headphone jack.So i would either have to do away with external speaker or use interface cable.Well for now i have the site in my fav's and thanks.
73,Stu

When I was ready to get serious about getting my license, I took the online tests at QRZ.com, and also read the book "Now You're Talking". It reinforces the test questions and helps you really understand info.

Now that I am studying morse code, I downloaded Morse Academy
and have been working with this. I also got the ARRL book, "General Class License Manual".

One of my primary interests in getting a Tech w/ code or General license is so I can use some of the 10 meter radios I have...ON 10 METERS ! :shock:

Hi CDX8412,

I checked out the Morse Academy overview, and I am not sure if I fully understand it. What I gather is that it sends you characters and displays them on the screen. I am not a real big fan of that, because you hear code; you don't see it.

This may be a "quick and dirty" way of passing the test, but it actually may be more difficult in the long run and it doesn't help your chances of using/copying code practically. But your mileage may vary!

When I started out learning code, I ordered the Introduction to Morse Code CD, which is sold by the ARRL. I can't recommend this. If I could go back, I would start out using the G4FON software which teaches using the Koch method.

What I found myself doing early on with the ARRL CD is creating a 'look-up' table in my head, instead of actually hearing the character sent. This is because the code is sent with spacing between characters, and you actually have the time to do the look-up.

On the other hand, with the Koch method (like the G4FON software), I started out at a 'high' speed to make it impossible to count dits and dahs. You only start out with two letters and gradually add more. Pretty soon I actually heard the letters!

Here is a good article on this topic:
click here

SW, I can't really comment on the code quick, I would assume that is is better than creating that 'look-up' table in your head filled with dits and dahs. You are actually hearing a memory tool that sounds like a character, which takes extra time, but I certainly believe it is a better way to start than the way I did.

Another thing, never look at a printed table of morse code! That is completely useless to me, since code is heard not seen.

Everybody learns code differently and at different speeds (those musically inclined seem to learn it faster!). For that reason I hesitate to say any one training program or method will help all learn.

Also, the AA9PW site has practice QSO's that are very good once you have learned all the characters. They even have practice QSO's with questions, like the real test.

Sorry to run off at the mouth, but I enjoy code. :D Hope this helps someone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.