• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-2 Safety diode from B-minus to ground goes short: Damage or only loss of plate metering accuracy?

Naysayer

Mar 6, 2020
New York
My 2nd post on this, I deleted the first, poorly written late at night.

I'm chasing my tail lately on Tetrode project.
It stopped amplifying despite correct voltages at tube pins and a reasonable zsac but in retrospect (below) I recognize the bias voltage was nowhere close to datasheet values when bias set by zsac only. When bias V set by voltage alone, no plate current at all. Yesterday I found that the "D-2 safety diode from B minus to ground (bypassed with 50v ceramic caps a'la W8JI website) went short. This was the 2nd diode to fail short in several months (1st was snubber across T-R relay, a 4000 series but both diodes from Amazon, Bojack branding). Will try again later today with new D2 diode. Larger size diode? Before I lost function a few days ago, I was making good progress with decent PO (low drive into DL).

Is there anyway the shorting of D-2 could have damaged tubes? Plate transformer rated 1800v @ 400mA FWB while datasheet reports 500mA max plate current for 2 tubes. I'm hoping tubes are OK. When I think about D-2 going short the only effect would be plate meter accuracy showing too low because of D2's added conduction. Is my thinking sound on this? Is proper Bias a combo of voltage and current? I always looked at it as: 'datasheet is approximate but zsac is best'...............I think I'm learning that Bias is more of a combination of volts & mA within the datasheet range, that is best.

Yeah, I got it going now. :giggle:
Apparently that protection diode made it impossible to set zsac/bias.
500 PO from 5w drive on 15mtrs AM from a pair of 4cx300a. That's enough to make me happy. Now I can finish setting the pi values for 40 & 80. neil

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Glad you got it going! In general, 0 volts on a tube's control grid is bad, as it allows heavy conduction from plate to cathode. I don't know your particular circuit, so I don't know if there are any other safety devices in play, but for most tube circuits, 0 volts on the grid means you won't have much (if any) amplification since the tube will be running basically saturated (fully turned on). This can lead to tube damage and/or failure due to too much plate current, unless the plate current is limited to safe levels in some other way (plate resistor, cathode resistor, etc).

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.