• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D104 MODIFICATION

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I had a shot QSO with 113 in Mexican (27.565 USB). I listened as he made contact after contact.
His audio was so impressive I had to qsk and ask him his working conditions.
A 148 and a d104 that was handed down from his Dad. What a wonderful sounding setup.
The only thing that wasn't stock was a mod he did to the d104 and there's no doubt in my mind that it was the mic mod that made the difference. I wanted to ask him what the mod was but a phone call cut the QSO short.
Nice bass but very well balanced.
I know there are many mods for a d104 but don't know which one would compliment a uniden madison.
I've several d104's that aren't being used and although I will be operating an ft 950 i will always have the madison hooked up and ready for back up and occasional use in order to keep the juice's flowing.
Is there a proven d104 mod that adds some lows and might work well on a uniden madison? Thanks 73

I had a shot QSO with 113 in Mexican (27.565 USB). I listened as he made contact after contact.
His audio was so impressive I had to qsk and ask him his working conditions.
A 148 and a d104 that was handed down from his Dad. What a wonderful sounding setup.
The only thing that wasn't stock was a mod he did to the d104 and there's no doubt in my mind that it was the mic mod that made the difference. I wanted to ask him what the mod was but a phone call cut the QSO short.
Nice bass but very well balanced.
I know there are many mods for a d104 but don't know which one would compliment a uniden madison.
I've several d104's that aren't being used and although I will be operating an ft 950 i will always have the madison hooked up and ready for back up and occasional use in order to keep the juice's flowing.
Is there a proven d104 mod that adds some lows and might work well on a uniden madison? Thanks 73

You made a QSO with Jose Luis ?

I did this mod to my silver eagle and i love it!
http://www.qsl.net/hcara/Improving_the_D-104_N9WB_rev2.pdf

i have tried other mods in the past that changed a few cap values and that helped a bit, but this mod is my favorite.

i was able to use the existing circuit board in the silver eagle which is a bit different from the ones shown in the docs.
if it's a silver eagle that you want to mod, shoot me a message and ill try to find the pictures i drew.

DO NOT poke any holes in the mic element. lots of mods on the net telling you to do this.
don't.

you know me Sonar, so you know this will work well with your madison.
LC

Ignoring redesigning the amplifier totally that is right? The D104 is one well modified design. I would focus on adding a condenser element with the proper modifications for that first. Upgrading caps to audio grade caps both lytics and ceramics. you should have probably film caps through out as few as it uses. Than what ever 1-2 audio lytics in the 148 the experts recommend changing do so usually an upgrade in voltage and capacitance. The capacitance is what controls tone.

The problem with hand me down or used radio's is the new owner has no clue what was done before. On top of that no two voices are the same so a fixed cap value means nothing. On top of that cap brands vary a lot when talking about fine tuning audio.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I did this mod to my silver eagle and i love it!
http://www.qsl.net/hcara/Improving_the_D-104_N9WB_rev2.pdf

i have tried other mods in the past that changed a few cap values and that helped a bit, but this mod is my favorite.

i was able to use the existing circuit board in the silver eagle which is a bit different from the ones shown in the docs.
if it's a silver eagle that you want to mod, shoot me a message and ill try to find the pictures i drew.

DO NOT poke any holes in the mic element. lots of mods on the net telling you to do this.
don't.

you know me Sonar, so you know this will work well with your madison.
LC
I did the same mod a few years ago, worked well.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.