• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Damn storms

300 Gallons will run my generator for a long time. I keep the fuel in the tank treated with Star Tron and also use it for lawn maintenance and exercising my generator once a month under load running the "critical Load" panel.

This ensures fresh fuel at all times.

(Yeah that's right, once a month)

Whatever man, whatever. It's pretty easy to be critical when you are not the one in the business dealing with profits and losses. Trust me, power utilities are not making more money than it would cost to do what you want to have done.Storms are not new. People have survived during them from back before nearly everyone had commercial power and they will continue to do so.In fact when my father was a kid the winter storms were far worse than today, often lasting two or three days and dumping 3-4 feet of snow. he grew up without electricity to begin with. The real problem is that individuals have come to rely on everything being done for them and fail to take the responsibility of their own safety into their own hands. I find that owning a back up generator for the extreme rare times I need it is far cheaper than paying twice the going rate or more for power every month just to have expensive to maintain underground utilities.

Technology is supposed to advance and get more reliable.....not go backwards or stagnate....money should not mean anything when lives are at stake.

When I was about 18 we had an ice storm back in sippi and on day 13 we were greatfull to see the power truck winching itself into our yard tied to a large pine tree which was full of power lines.

Technology is supposed to advance and get more reliable.....not go backwards or stagnate....money should not mean anything when lives are at stake.

Tell that to the utilities that must operate at a huge LOSS in order to do what you think is the right thing. Tell any company that they must operate at a loss in the name of safety (or perceived lack of it) and see what happens. As far as "lives at stake" add up the number of lives lost due to power outages in the last 5 years and I bet they will total far less than the number of shooting deaths in one large US city in a single year, maybe even a month. Hmmmmm.....maybe the money should be spent fighting against the second amendment instead as more lives would be saved. If you were really concerned about saving lives that should be the route to take. Good luck on that one BTW. :D

This is getting ridiculous. Some people just cannot seem to grasp reality and it is NOT me. Maybe you think the power grid and distribution and generation should become the responsibility of the federal government as they seem, as you have suggested, to have all kinds of money to spend on wars. Not only good luck with that but a hearty God help you too.

Nope. It is a private enterprise. The cost of such an improvement would be passed directly to the users of that utility and be reflected in your monthly statement. Stockholders wouldn't be too pleased either!

And that right there is the god's honest truth!

Good deal very glag to here that for sure. I was thinking about you all today' and it looks like they got it done a littel faster than first thought. That is good news for sure. Have a nice 4th and enjoy it you and yours have it comming. **Jump_im**

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.