• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dangerous situation

Your aim's a bit off Paws. You might have to adjust your windage a bit for all the hot air blowing.

You sir, were the one bringing up 20th century history. But again you were cherry picking your "facts". History is like a river. You can not dip your hand into it and say this is the river. You have to look at where the water came from and where it is going.

The lesson of Katrina is not, that the government failed (it did), but rather, take care of yourself. Don't wait for the government to act. It was local and state government that failed first and before that, the people themselves. We had a flood in our area during the winter of '64-'65. There was no time to wait for help from the government. Even the kids were filling sandbags. The older people were bringing dry clothes and hot food. I was out on a farmer's tractor, reinforcing a levee to save a bridge.

The pictures of the submerged school busses was sickening. Then there was the Rev. Al passing out signs at the Convention Center, so the "victims" could protest the lack of help. I'm sorry, but if the news van can drive in, people can walk out. The footage of the local police caught looting didn't get much coverage either, did it? Be prepared! Help yourself and each other!

Back to Iraq: (more history)

It's true, that Iraq is a very dangerous place. Our National Guard unit just got back. Most of them say that we have a real chance to change the region. My wife was called to active duty in Jan. of '05 and is stationed in Sacramento, CA, about 700 miles from here. She is a nurse and is responsible for seeing that, whenever possible, the returning wounded and injured Guardsmen are able to stay at home with their families and receive the care that they need locally. The thing that she hears most is, that these guys and gals want to go back and finish the job.

As far as a civil war goes. That is what will happen if we pull out too soon. This is what the insurgents are try to cause by attacking the civilian population. You would give them what they want. My sources (the boots on the ground) say that the locals want us to stay and prevent this and leave when they have full control of their country.

They only way that we can lose this one is the way that we lost Viet Nam---At home. I know. I was there in '68 and we were winning and could have finished the job. We lost it at home in the papers and our leaders did not have the political courage to finish the job. 50,000+ soldiers lost their lives for nothing and millions of civilians lost theirs when we pulled out. The stakes are the same in Iraq. Only now it is the fundamentalist Islamist factions that we are trying to prevent sweeping over an entire world.

Look at history. The whole thing. Learn from it. The Middle East has been at war with the world or itself for thousands of years, predating Islam and the warlords do not give up power easily. Yet there is hope. Look at Palestine. Is it what we expected? No. However, Hamas was elected by the people and they will throw them out, when they want to. Look at Northern Ireland. Who would have thought that the IRA would lay down their arms and join in a political settlement?

Let's see if your aim has improved, Paws.

Rich

Hamin’X, my thoughtful friend, again you may be right, my “Aim” could well be off because maybe I received shooting lessons from Dick Cheney with a Haliburton subsidiary company shotgun. Maybe I could not “see” clearly because I did not have the rose-colored glasses that the administration’s apologists have on.

Sir, you accuse me of “Cherry-Picking’ history, this is not true; I made a single reference to a well known scandal however, you reply with a number of specious sophistries that you use to justify the administrations’ actions and assuage your collective guilt.

Let’s agree to agree that the lesson behind Katrina was more self reliance and less dependence on the Federal and central governments. The whole city of New Orleans will suffer PTSD; the mayor and governor were as much of a victim as some of the Nursing Home patients.

"Big Brother" should have done more than fly over in Air Force One and give lip service.

Back To Iraq:

We should do every thing in the world to support our military and support personnel however this does not mean that we cannot call for the end of this conflict as soon as possible. We do not have to continue to support the guys who are screwing our country around.

“We” need to sit down with the rest of the world behind closed doors and say, “Guys, we screwed up big time and we need your help at trying to fix it before it goes worst".

Enough with the “Tex-Mex Machismo” and “staying the course” to what, disaster? I am from some of the darkest streets and back alleys and, I have seen some of the baldest guys go down because they were “To dumb to run”. Ultimately we will have two choices of action with the Middle East and the Fundamentalist Islamist, leave them completely alone or bomb them back to the stone age and kill every boy baby before he get 12 years old. It will not happen thankfully.

We need to give those folks their country back; we all know that the Bush administration does not have the interest of the average American citizen as its top priority. Main stream conservative as well as so-called Liberal Americans are questioning what’s going on, and rightly so.

If push comes to shove, get out troops out in an expeditious manner and give them, the Iraqis their little oasis back, I can guarantee that the world would be a safer place.

Nope, my aim has not been improved by progress in Ireland, outsourcing US jobs to India and, BTW, take Reverend Al Sharpton for what he is; turn the cameras off when he arrives that would solve that.

No I am not safer than when we went into Iraq, I do not care about democracy in the middle east, it will not affect me, my children or maybe even my grandkids.

Iraq has been in a civil war since the fall of '03.

Or really it should no longer be called Iraq. It is the Lawless and Ungovernable Region Formerly Known As Iraq. We destroyed the state of Iraq. We have empowered people there who are far worse than Saddam or the Ba'ath party.

As Iraq convulses and further degenerates, as we are seeing now, there is really only one question--do we want to stay and participate in the bloodletting, or do we want to get our boys and girls the hell out of there. There is no third option that can stop the bloodbath, or stabilize the region, or re-create a unified state of some kind. It is too late for that. The genie is already out of the bottle, the die was cast in May of 03, the day we went in.

What will eventually end up happening after the carnage is over, is some kind of partition. Most likely along similar lines as the preceding Ottoman provinces-Mosul, Baghdad, and Basra. Mosul to the north will be Kurdistan, Basra in the south will be a Fundamentalist Shia Theocracy, with Taliban-style government and strong ties to Iranian mullahs (oh boy), and the "Sunni Triangle" areas around and west of Baghdad will be a sort of stunted, stillborn Sunni pseudo-state, with no oil resources. Kind of like a big Gaza Strip, if you will.

Well, that scenario also has to be viewed as a possible overlay to the complex tribal alliances and grudges that are the "real" Iraq, and have been since it's inception. I can't profess to have any real understanding of how that will play in, other than it definitely will be a huge factor, one not well understood even by experts.

It is going to be as ugly as one can imagine, and the chance of the neighboring powers, especially Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia, getting in deep with the conflict is not a happy prospect .

I read today that over the course of the Indochina war, the wounded rate for US personnel was about 7000 per year. We are at around 13000 per year right now.

Who wants to have to build another huge black wall in D.C.?

Iraq is going to be a horrorshow either way, US occupation or not. Get the hell out NOW!!!!!!

Paws,

We probably agree on more than we disagree on, however it is a shame that you do not see the threat to you, or to your descendants from the Middle East, as it is today. And by "Middle East", I include our so called friends over there. If the Iraqi people can pull their $h!t together and figure out how to get along, then the rest of the region will fall in line.

Highlander,

Sounds a lot like the birth pangs of the "Good ole US of A, doesn't it. We've been at it for over 200 years and haven't got it quite right yet.

I think that we all come at these problems from a Patriotic view point, just a little different angle. I still thank God for living in a country, where we can go at this without having to fear for our lives, just because we disagree.

Keep up the good fight.

Rich

If I didn't care about this place, I would do what the knuckle draggers want me to do---leave. I am in a position to do that if that is what I want to do. It isn't. I choose to stay and fight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.