• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dave MAde Rod Of God Antenna *PICS*

It's funny to read some things at times.

My time on CB, working all over the world, was at a propagation peak years ago. With a Texas Star 250, generally run at 80W or so, and a Wilson 1000 through hole mount on my roof, I worked the world at will, mobile only.

I had several radios over time back then, one of them was a Uniden 520XL and I used to work at 4W AM, a guy called the Channel Master in San Antonio from NJ on almost a daily basis as well as the Grizzly Bear Mobeeel who was down that way along coastal TX I think.

I can still hear Grizzly Bear howling into his echo box now. "Grizzly bear, grizzly bear, grizzly bear, world wide walkie talkie, grizzly bear mobeeel back quiet".

Propagation will return...just something to keep in mind ;-).

no offense meant by this but two things:

1) just because "someone beat someone with something different " in no way means anything. That is not scientific proof. Its a personal account which by no means proves anything. (read my signature line, bob said it best)

2) If an 8 pill beat a z box I want to know how many tubes there were and how big was the guys supply etc etc etc. for a 3-500z box of any config 3 tubes plus to get beat by a 8 pill is silly. Something was wrong, all there was too it. Im not saying he didnt win, Im saying the ac mobile must have had a problem. Any time anyone with a 16 pill mobile wants to key against my 3cx3000a7...heh heh.. I will be more than willing to take the challenge, half waves and all... I dont think you will be successful keying on him sorry to say.
Your comments makes it clear to me why they banned The Rod Of God Antenna from keydowns. A 16pill DC mobile running the Rod OF God cutting the lips off a 3cx3000 AC mobile is priceless.(y) Alot of people would not be able to accept the beat down.

If the R.O.G was a half wave or 5/8 wave wouldn't it have more gain by design than a quarter wave setup, even if directors were added on the mobile (especially if it were just one or two)?

I was just a the Jax break 09 and Fatboy has their own version of the Rod of God They use it with copper pipe "T" tops and claim it to be 5/8's. Pricing up over the $1,000. mark. They keyed against other trucks in the regular pill classes and didn't get past the second round against the 5 antenna Suburbans. They run a 2 antenna set-up on BB's old truck and beat a 3cx15000 with 2 live sticks & no backdoor. 50kw's of power! What a show but to me it's just marketing!
n570099832_1580979_2743543.jpg

n570099832_1580938_4858252.jpg

n570099832_1581148_5934184.jpg

20090320162708.jpg

At a typically >1,000ohms feed point impedance of an end-fed 1/2 wave, I would expect a lot more coil than that.

I estimated about 9 feet of 3/8" wide hollow copper coil. The top I saw on it was about 9 feet tall with a "T" on top of about 9 feet wide. The top to bottom was NOT adjustable but the "T" was adjustable to the sides and about 6 to 8 inches longer on the reflector. This was a 2 antenna set-up with 6 foot spacing BUT the reflector did NOT have the coil. I might be wrong but isn't the reflector AND the antenna supposed to be the same wavelength? By the way, the set-up I saw had copper pipe for the shaft and it was soldered like a regular plumbing fixture...

Does anyone know where to find printed rules for these mobile shootouts or are they always changing based upon local agreement for each competition?

You can't deny one thing, Dave was a great innovator of higher performance boxes and antennas.. I have never seen vacuum capacitors used on a mobile antenna before, which is something very different. Vacuum capacitors have a higher efficiency and handle much more power. I would of just made the antenna 4 feet taller however, and made it a 5/8th wave though. A 5/8th wave doesn't need a capacitor to match the antenna at all, and may have an ever slight more gain and height advantage.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.