• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dayton Hamvention 2010 Pictures and Video

SOME of the QRZ guys are just a bit too uppity for their own good when it comes to no-coders. I think you showed some guts and initiative in wearing that t-shirt.

Thanks for the positive reply. I've been a no-code tech for almost 18 years and have tried since day one to show the older hams that no-coders can be model ham citizens. Well after 18 years of not making much progress in getting no-coders accepted... I decided to try a different approach; this time concentrating on the no-coders instead - and making them feel good about themselves. By the response - I can tell you it worked !!!

here was the back side of my shirt:
hamv-r.JPG

Last edited:
I am also a no coder....I have spent waaay to much time with overly loud steros,and concerts,loud job sites(I am a carpenter by trade) and last but not least many hours at a shooting range without hearing protection...

so my hearing has suffered alot...I have tried a few of the practice tapes,set to different tones,high and low...but I am sad to say that the dots and dashes all mush together...for me there is no rythem to the tones....

Does my not able to do code make me any less of a ham?I dont think so....

I do understand the reasoning for having code as part of the HF testing...and I will agree that the testing has...issues...

But anyway....Looks like the Dayton Hamfest was a good time (y) !! Wish I could have made it

Am I a rotten or not a real husband because I cant or dont slap my wife around like they could and get away with it years ago?? Or is a cigarette smoker not a real smoker because he couldnt get away with having a cigarette behind his ear in class in high school??? Or am I not a true Colon Cancer survivor because my Colostomy bag I had at one time wasnt made of leather like my grandpas buddy??

Is it jealousy perhaps is it that some people find it not fair that times change as new years come??? Should I hate anyone anyone that drove before I did because they didnt have to have a computer to diagnose what was wrong with there car should I have hatred to anyone with Colitis because theres didnt turn into Cancer???? SILLY I TELL YA JUST SILLY

People need to brush off the small stuff alot worse things can happen if I like CW thats all that matters why should the next guy have to I think everyone should drive a Chevy or you should be ashamed and actually buy a vehicle LMAO!! (JOKE) I dont care if someones driving a Smart Car (ASLONG AS ITS NOT MY KIDS) :LOL:

My T-Shirt had two purposes; one was to help no-coders have some pride in their aquiring a ham radio license. The other was to see how many haters are still out there. The dirty looks I received made me believe there are still a lot of them around. The haters sure do make it easy to spot them.

I took the first No-Code Tech test that was given in the area; back in the early 1990's... and recently upgraded to Extra - though I own no equipment that goes below 140mhz and never will. I have been a no-code ham for almost 18 years!

I ask all ham radio license holders to shun the haters that are still left. It's time the bury the hatchet... and end this once & for all.

All hams are brothers and equally cherished. No-Coders no-longer should feel as if they should be quiet as a church mouse; sit in the back of the bus, and hang their head low.

Heck, you can't even get a FCC/VEC code test anymore... for any amateur license classes. They are no longer given.

Last edited:
This thread was started for the purpose of the Hamvention; not for picking an issue that can at best become another well-known argument that has resurfaced. Your point and issue are duly noted.
Done.

What do they do at these hamventions? Is it just the means for mfrs to show off new products and innovations? I know there is a flea market there as well. But how many new ideas really come along within the space of just one year?

I saw a lot of D-Star offerings... especially that DONGLE product. D-Star might gain momentum if -at least- one other mfgr embraces the standard.

Although it looked like there were some unsold outdoor flea market spaces... the inside area seemed to be filled. The weather on Saturday was perfect !

The only negative I can think of... is not being able to park at the arena itself. But the outdoor flea market is sooo huge that it practically consumes the entire rear parking area... so there's no other choice but to have the general parking off-site.

a co-worker bought a used Icom IC-7000 in the flea market; and gave it to me to check out on the service monitor this morning. At first I thought he had receiver sensitivity issues on the lower bands - and then noticed the dual antenna jacks. It works great. What a great rig; love the display and the frequency range is almost DC to Light :) A lot of bandwidth in such a small package.

I only had about an hour to walk the outside area... didn't get to see much there. Apparently I missed some good deals.

Here's an interesting rotatable 80 meter dipole from Array Solutions. It looks to me like it's coil loaded to shorten it up a bit:

YouTube - Hamvention 2010, 80 M rotatable dipole

I saw that thing; looks like it belongs on the Space Station !!

I work with some of the DARA officers... got this info today:
they gave 320 license exams at the event; about 200 were to first time hams (only a few didn't pass). The rest of the exams given were for upgrades; most were to General... a small amount to Extra.

All inside spaces (except for about 10) were sold; and 80 % of the outside flea market spaces were filled. This is up drastically over the past 3 years. Looks like there's a resurgence in the hobby.

I wonder how many hats Yaesu gave away this year ?

Last edited:
Here's an interesting rotatable 80 meter dipole from Array Solutions. It looks to me like it's coil loaded to shorten it up a bit:

YouTube - Hamvention 2010, 80 M rotatable dipole

Definitely coil loaded and it has capacity hats on the ends as well. All it needs is a little webbing and it would look like either two giant fly swatters end to end or a kayak paddle. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated