• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dayton sidetrack

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
I can't say just how many times I drove by "Marconi" avenue in Moraine Ohio, south of Dayton. It's on the way to my favorite Waffle House, south of the motel where I stay every year for Hamvention. Makes some sense. After all, this was a thriving industrial growth area a hundred years ago. Now it's a struggling rust belt relic. A rusty bucket trying to patch a hole in its bottom.

3PLiBs.jpg

This neighborhood dates to before WW2, so a high-tech name like "Marconi" is no surprise here, but until this year I just never noticed the name of the next street north of it.

MC9JEk.jpg

Pretty sure this would be in reference to Charles P. Steinmetz, the radio-physics wizard of General Electric in the first part of the 20th century.

Makes sense. Steinmetz actually understood his achievements. Some will tell you that Guglielmo Marconi was more huckster than scientist, more visionary than engineer. Kinda the Steve Jobs of his day.

Maybe.

And if you're curious about Charles Steinmetz, the YouTube channel "Kathy loves physics and history" has a good bio of him.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.