• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DC Power supply

TES

Jan 11, 2020
Setting up a base radio and amp. I'm looking at DC power supplies like Powermax 100 amp. Question is, is the cooling fan too loud? Second question, what power supply would you all recommend? I have a couple fairly high powered amps and will be needing at least 75 amps. Very important for cooling fan to be very quiet.

Thank you for your time.

Setting up a base radio and amp. I'm looking at DC power supplies like Powermax 100 amp. Question is, is the cooling fan too loud? Second question, what power supply would you all recommend? I have a couple fairly high powered amps and will be needing at least 75 amps. Very important for cooling fan to be very quiet.

Thank you for your time.

Fan can be swapped easily. I suppose it'd void warranty. Maybe look for a used one.

OK...is there a specific type or brand name that is popular and/or has proven to be a good, dependable power supply for use in the radio shack. Modification is always an option and I have a few small fans like the ones I used on my 6666s that would work real well but it would be nice to just purchase a piece of equipment, plug it in and use it.

I have two of the powermax 100 supplies. The fan is very quiet when operating normally. I run a xforce 4 pill on one of them. When I start talking on the amp for a while and put some heat into it, the powermax fan goes into high speed. But it's not any louder than the amp. That's when I know to give the amp a break.

Shadetree,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me an intelligent and positive reply...that's really what I was hoping for. It was beginning to look like I could possibly be swapping out the fan for a quiet one like Mudfoot suggested. I purchased a Powermax 100 this morning and was hoping for the best so your reply was good news, thank you!

Reactions: CB590 and Slowmover
I like PowerMax and MegaWatt power supplies. (y)

You'll like your PowerMax.

upload_2020-6-9_8-25-26.jpeg

Reactions: Tallman
Nice! thanks for the pic...just getting back into Radio and will soon have wore goodies than the wife knows or wants to know about. I'll be getting my HAM ticket soon and am excited and anxious to get back into some good DX
These forums didn't exist in the 70s when I was a kid with a very big radio...so much information available now, this is gonna be fun!
Thank you, Tom "58" Pacific NW
Usually on 38 LSB

Reactions: Tallman and S&W357
I would have to agree with Tallman. I have not tried the powermax. I have actually broke my Megawatts and have got great support from Mr, Marles(just nutty stuff by the way). I have 3 50's @ 14V stacked and with a DC clamp meter an old Toshiba 667(and much larger) draws 50-87 amps. Good stuff.

Reactions: Tallman and S&W357
I have two of the megawatts, a 30a and a 50a. The 50a has a loud fan and I can't imagine putting two of them together to get 100a. Maybe the new ones are quiet? The 30a is quiet, I run it as a bench supply in my main shack.
If the 50 irritates you that much I would be happy to take it off of your hands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.