• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DDS VFO

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
Just saw a video of this modification or add on. Not sure if this should go in the CB and Export and accessories, or here.

A link to the video on this VFO for all CB radios it looks like.

Looks like a pretty nice add-on for sure. I bought a Circuit Domain board early on, but never got around to putting it in. This DDS VFO looks to be able to run circles around the DigiMax Lite.

This also will stabilize the Galaxy 959, and probably the Texas Ranger radios like the 696Freedom, that have the drift issues.

Looking through the instruction sheet, if you get the kit, you will still need more components that are not supplied in the kit for the install.

Last edited:

Just saw a video of this modification or add on. Not sure if this should go in the CB and Export and accessories, or here.

A link to the video on this VFO for all CB radios it looks like.

Looks like a pretty nice add-on for sure. I bought a Circuit Domain board early on, but never got around to putting it in. This DDS VFO looks to be able to run circles around the DigiMax Lite.

This also will stabilize the Galaxy 959, and probably the Texas Ranger radios like the 696Freedom, that have the drift issues.(till warmed up)

Looking through the instruction sheet, if you get the kit, you will still need more components that are not supplied in the kit for the install.

By the way, I'm not advertising or endorsing this, and I've never heard of Troy's till I was sent the video from a friend.

I was looking around and see this may have been out for a few years. I did a search here and wasn't able to locate it.

Not sure if this kind of posting is allowed, so if it's not, would the moderators delete it.

I confess, I haven't read all the rules.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Everyone uses the cheapest chinesium encoders it seems.

yes, they are wobbly and flimsy and suck.

the cure is to use a genuine ALPS encoder, and they can be 10-20 dollars a piece, when you can find them.

whenever i do a radio that uses an encoder for a channel mod, i always change the encoder to an ALPS.

there is actually a spec for how much effort it takes to turn them, and the ALPS feels much more like a channel selector while still allowing you to spin it fast if you want.

im curious as to how much receiver noise is created by this kit.
LC

im curious as to how much receiver noise is created by this kit.

Hasn't been an obvious problem in the ones we have installed so far. I was skeptical about the Si5351 chip, but so far so good.

What I really want to figure out how to do is use all three outputs from that chip to replace all 3 oscillators in the Tram D201A, not just the channel LO.

Hasn't been an obvious problem in the ones we have installed so far. I was skeptical about the Si5351 chip, but so far so good.

What I really want to figure out how to do is use all three outputs from that chip to replace all 3 oscillators in the Tram D201A, not just the channel LO.

Anyone hav instructions on how to install this in a 29 or 78xl bought one from try no info on there help files for this radio

Don't know what the guy is charging for this mod but the encoder seem abit flimsy
$99 for a bag of parts. Toby, TroyRadio and POC for Brazilian originator, is so confident in the product they quit assembly of them. Stating too much walk-in load work. He did mention goobermint contracts; and, I thought of chest pounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harley3315
Cobra 2000GTL DDS-VFO
Step 2, after clearing the floor space.
1667948572165.png
Step 2b Setting the Groundwork
1667948697537.png
Step 3 Arduino Board install
1667948779669.png
These images acquired during my investigation into worth of swapping out the existing Frequency Switch Mod for the DDS-VFO mod. I don't have the skills nor eyesight to do it myself. The initial outlay of $99 for a bag of parts required a suitable technician do the mod; plus the pending Ruby Anniversary recap and refurb. I was looking at a costly antique.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.