• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dentron MLA-2500B

Crusher

May 12, 2007
Louisville, KY
Just had a friend bring over this amp. The amp needs new capacitors. I have never seen a capacitor with 4 pins. 3 are used on each of the caps. I was thinking of replacing with 8 x 220uf@450V. Just wondering if anyone has installed their own cap bank instead of say using the Harbach Kit. I know it uses a full wave doubler circuit. Just wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell what the various pins are for on capacitor.

Usually there are multiple capacitors within 1 can, and if there are 4 pins, there's 3 capacitors in the can. One pin will be the (common) ground for all 3 caps, and the other three pins will be the (+). Generally, the cans will be marked on the side with shapes, like a square, triangle, and a half circle, and will have a capacitance value for each shape. If you look at the pins underneath, there should be a shape near each of the (+) pins that are used.

Hope this helps!

(edit) Also forgot to mention that some of these caps use the case as (common) ground also... they don't have an isolated ground.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Looks like I have it about finished. Just have to look up schematic and figure out where the meter shunt goes to on cap bank. Should have it back up and running today.

Just so you know "cans" with more than one capacitor in each package are never used to form a series high voltage filter bank. This is not possible due to the single package having a common ground that will not allow a series connection. In the case of the caps in this amp, the outside pins are all connected together as the negative side of a single capacitor and insulated from chassis ground so the six can be wired in series. The pin located more towards the center is the positive terminal.

Reactions: 1 person
Yup, once I figured how capacitors were set up and figured what pins were for. Figured it out easily. Thanks everone for the help. Supply is back up and running.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated