• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

detail photo's.

dave s

Aug 22, 2010
I'm afraid that I cannot add anything to this forum by way of knowledge relating to radio. I have none!!

However, by way of a thank you for allowing me to use your forum I would like to share a discovery I made which I hope might be of interest and of use to members who use a digital camera particularly to take photos for eBay; or maybe to show circuit detail etc. in photo's used in threads.

If, like me, you use a fairly cheap digital camera or even your mobile phone to take pictures of items for eBay etc. then you probably have problems when you want to show close-up detail.

Some time ago I did some experimentation based on my memories of using a screw on '2 diopter' close-up lense on an old 'point-and-shoot' film camera that I had back in the 70's.

I discovered that by holding an ordinary magnifying glass in front of the lense of your digital camera you can get closer to your subject. The more powerful the glass is, the closer you can get and you know you are in focus because you can see the image on the screen before you press the button.

I've taken a photo of what I mean:-

BILD0054.jpg

The magnifying glass should be held up against the camera lense.

The more powerfull the magnifying glass is, the closer you can get to the object but don't use too big a magnification or you will get edge distortion.

I took this photo of a charm bracelet lock with this method using about an 8X magnifying glass.

P1000125.jpg

Without the magnifying glass I could only get an 'in focus' photo of the whole bracelet. There was no way you could make out the hall mark and with only a 2meg. camera it was useless trying to selectively crop the photo, it was far too grainy.

I hope this is of some use to some of you.:)

Please give it a try, it really does work well.

Dave.;)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.