• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diamond SD330 Screwdriver.... Anyone got one?

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Still researching...I know I should buy the Tarheel. From what I've read, if you want to use a tune controller, you send it back to Diamond and they'll install the sensor for free and ship it back, free.

I've called a few vendors, but seem they don't stock any with the controller sensor pre-installed. I don't need a controller, but know it'd be berries.

Anyone have one and can comment?

Can't help you on a sensor for that but if you can't find one, maybe consider the Tune-matic Lite which will tune on user programmed memo points. This way no sensors are needed. It has 20 memories which on bands above 20m your antenna bandwidth should tune the whole band with 1 memory. Above 40m will use at least 5 memories set every 25KHz for the whole band and 80 meters will need a retune every +/- 10 KHz.

20 memories should work for you. If anything, it'll memo tune on lower bands and get you in the ballpark if you run out of memory and the controller has manual tuning.

I'm willing to bet that it'll work better than those MFJ memo tuner I mentioned on your other thread.

I believe you'll be fine with the Tunematic Lite especially if you don't band hop much. 20 memories is plenty.

I take it you got a good deal on the Diamond antenna so you have to consider if the more expensive auto controller and a 80m Tarheel antenna is worth it to have auto tuning like your ATAS antenna.

I personally think so!

Good luck with your decisions and hopefully you can find those sensors!

Money isn't an issue. I just like simplicity. I do want to avoid spending to much on something, that might be excessive for the amount of time I use it. I like mobile HF, but I haven't spent a lot of time talking. I do want 80 and the Diamond gives that.

If the Tarheel used UHF mounting, I'd probably would've already ordered it. I suppose there is a decent adapter, but I'm weird like that. I just bought my Breedlove UHF Ball Mount.

For some reason, though, the Diamond grabs my attention.

I ordered one from HRO earlier today. Now, I'm kicking around ideas on how to tune it. I ended up putting my 891 back in the Jeep. Even though I had my 857 mounted on center of my dash, I had a hard time viewing the screen. I tried all color variations and contrast, just wasn't visible. The 891's screen is like a neon billboard.

I suppose I can adjust resonance with the 891's bridge, a twin needle SWR meter, or use my tiny HF analyzer. I figure tuning by ear, then key up and fine tune would be simplest. I'm not sure if the SOTABEAMS Click2Tune dongle will work with the 891. I know it works for the 817, 857 and 897. If it did, that would be berries. Just double click PTT, throw a low dead key, then tune. I don't band hop or QSY much.
I could use a coax switch and tune using my analyzer (it's the size of a pack of cigs). I just don't want a rats nest of cables, switches and meters. I imagine HRO will ship via UPS, so probably get it Wednesday.

Last edited:
If you do grab one, let us know what you think. I'm HF mobile as well and like simplicity as well.
A screwdriver is about as simple as you can get, use an auto tuner and its just push a button. That is how it was with my High Seirra Sidekick, I used a Turbo Turner hooked to my 706. All I did was press the tune button on the radio and the antenna and tuner did the rest.

Came priority mail, today.

Swapped out the ATAS. The Diamond tunes very nicely. Have it paired with the 891. Tuned up 40 first and make a couple quick contacts. 80 80seems to tune nicely. I heard a few stations, but to hot and tired to mess with it.

I just tuned by ear, then popped an FM carrier to finish it off. So far, seems to act like it's gonna please me. Gonna run it temporarily with my K400 mount until I get my ball mount on rear quarter. I suspect it will like the added bonding that will give. Still need to strap the rest of the doors and such.

Obviously, it outperforms the ATAS. That antenna would do 40, but struggled to get below 1:8:1.

There is plenty of control wire. The switch seems durable, but a little stiff. Be nice if it had like a variable power, where you could tune closes then slow down more, so it's not so touchy getting that last sweet spot. It seems well made, so it has that going for it.

More to come....

I added a second switch to my control box...from the 12v feed added a 25 Ohm 50w power resistor in line, which dropped the voltage down to abt 7 volts...So now twin speed control.
My screwdriver uses a Black & Decker screw gun motor to turn the 3.5 inch like 50 turn coil
So the reduced voltage was not and issue. Not sure on your Diamond motor, but works well for me,
Glad you like it, ENJOY
ALL the Best
Gary

s-l1000.jpg

Gary, that's interesting.

I found a shady spot in my yard. I admit, I haven't been very active on HF lately. This whole mobile thing has got me back in the game. I've diddled with hamsticks, but been very long ago. Mostly, the last 25 years has been 10/11 meters and spotty 2 meters. Stupid of me to scoff at these screwdrivers like I have. Having a ball right now on 20 meters.

Yes, I'm going to be one of those dudes with a big ass antenna on my rear receiver. Yes, the same one's that I used to shake my head at. This is my stepping stone. I see my budget priority has changed.

I need to find an old carburated truck to house my setup. My Jeep has the coil on plug ignition and I believe that's where most of my noise is coming from. I'm clueless as to how to mitigate that. I recently installed new resistive plugs and a new coil pack.

Gonna try some CW on 40/80 tonight. I was somewhat skeptical of this Diamond, but obviously, it's a step up from the ATAS. When I researched it, there really isn't much said about it online. HRO, Gigaparts and R&L, all mention they sell a few, but Tarheel seems to be most popular.

Reactions: RT431
No end of auto ignition RFI articles. ARRL, and onwards. I was curious about coil packs (don’t own one), but fuel pump & grounds on JEEP appear to come first. (Stu Off-road). A friend has a JK and I’ve wondered.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.