• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Did The Economy Kill Field Day ?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Here it is June 3rd and no one has mentioned Field Day. A quick glance around qrz.com ........ I don't see any FD threads which is more surprising.

The recession has been in full grip since 2008 and I have noticed a steady decline in ham radio participatory events ever since. FD used to be such a big deal and now ??

I would think that the economy has something to do with it. What do you think is up with the decline in interest?

interview.gif

You are right about stuff on the forums about it this year, this is the first thread I've seen.

My local club always keeps fieldday fairly low key. Just 2 maybe 3 stations, its more of a social with a big supper planned for Saturday night. The last 2 years we had antenna contests which was fun, last year I won it. It was to make a 80 metre antenna no larger than 4'x4'x4' and make it resonant and get a contact.

Reactions: 1 person
This will be our 20th FD

We are a small group,about 10 maybe...we are getting up in yrs also...its mainly getting togater and fun,food and a bit of radios...we will be active in em47sx this yr.Just down the road from me a mile...Its my time for it.We always run 6/10/12/17/20/40/80 all modes...we look forward to it every yr.And we start planning for it after we take down the station of the yr we are running...im always on 10 and 6mtrs,and Tom kb0qip is on 40/80 and Johnnie kb0zxl is on 20mtrs...and the rest tag team...we use a lot of charcoal,hehe 73 de n0zna/John

What killed our Field Day is the loss of a good operating spot. My father in law died last year, and their 3+ acres were open all around...ringed with tall trees. It was a beautiful setup for low-band antenna erection - but too much work for his widow to look after. Her new digs are more "towny" than our current residence. Forget anything more elaborate than a tuner-fed random wire.

I suppose I could cart all the gear down to our friend's place in Bucks Township and set up there but my XYL/operating partner in crime wants running water nearby.

This will be our 20th FD

And cant wait,like i said,we start planning for the next yr when we start tearing down.We will be active on 6/10/12/17/20/40/80 and maybe160...its at my house and i have a acre and a half all wooded...and also my niebor next to me lets us use his property...we have a small gun range between us,and its 600yards down into the woods,and nothing behind me for about 4 miles...73 de n0zna/John

I hear they did not have enough name tags to go around so everyone went home.

Or was it hats? I may have erroneous intell .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.