• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Diesel 4000 Watt "Big Coil" Too good to be true?

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Hello everyone, I was asked what would be a better antenna compared to the Diesel 4000 Watt antenna purchased off ebay for cheap. (Like This One)
s-l1600.jpg

I don't know if the "Diesel Antenna" comes with coax/mounting hardware or just the main antenna "rod w/ coil".
But I had a chance to look at a diesel "4000 watt" mobile antenna w/ "the big coil" and I think the coax he had hooked up looked too thin and economical (cheap) to handle even a 2000 watts FM ( or 2 K.W. Dead Key) signal, but the antenna looked like it could?

What do you think, are these Diesel antenna too good to be true, and would a 108 in. whip out perform this
"big coil"?

Thank You, Best Regards
-LeapFrog

Last edited:

Thanks y'all I appreciate it, I figure a longer vertical element and less to go wrong makes the whip a clear winner if height issues are no concern!

.... The BC has low loss from its coil and a 102 doesn't have that loss problem....

Exactly correct, The input impedance of any short antenna will exhibit capacitive reactance (-j).

In order to cancel out this negative reactance, a loading coil with equal, but opposite reactance (+j) is used.

The shorter the antenna (in terms of wavelength), the larger the coil's reactance must be, along with a corresponding increase in coil losses.

That being said,......... that chrome finish sure is shiney

Reactions: LeapFrog
Exactly correct, The input impedance of any short antenna will exhibit capacitive reactance (-j).

In order to cancel out this negative reactance, a loading coil with equal, but opposite reactance (+j) is used.

The shorter the antenna (in terms of wavelength), the larger the coil's reactance must be, along with a corresponding increase in coil losses.

That being said,......... that chrome finish sure is shiney
Thanks, Yes that's what I figured would happen.. The "real deal" vertical whip would outperform the coil design on the Diesel, thank you for articulating so well.
-Leap

And it will handle 4KW which is I believe the full legal limit on 11 meters now, or is it 4 watts? :confused:

Stryker would have you believe it's 10KW :p

Stryker SR-A10 CB Antenna Important Features Includes:
  • 6 Gauge Solid Copper 100% Silver Plate Wire
  • 10,000 Watts Power Handling Capability
  • Extremely Efficient High “Q” Coil
  • Double Wall Coil Cover made from High Impact Mobay Plastic
  • Can be Tune for 26 – 30 Mhz
  • 10” Stainless Steel Shaft
  • 49” Stainless Steel Whip
  • Reduced Static Interference
  • RF Gain wide open or back off slightly
  • Standard 3/8” x 24” Thread on Shaft
  • 2 Year Warranty
(I'm sure its probably a very nice antenna)

"Diesel" products have always struck me as cheap. I have noticed, too, that I have run across items that were identical to each other, except 1 was labeled "Diesel", and the other, "Barjan".

The company has zero web presence, that I could find, aside from Diesel products for sale on various websites.

I did find, however, that "Diesel Electronics" is owned by DAS Companies, as I had suspected. They trademarked the name, then abandoned it a year later, apparently.

http://www.trademarkia.com/diesel-electronics-85717289.html

DAS is a company, whose primary purpose is to stock travel centers. They bought a bunch of reputable names, but I highly doubt that things are of the same quality.

http://www.dasinc.com/

My theory is that bean counters likely run the show, and that they are more concerned with expenditures, profits, and losses, than they are with quality of product. Likely, too, is that the Cheif Executive Bean Counter knows nothing about radio communication, and doesn't care. It just makes me less likely to trust DAS. I actually do have some DAS products that I use, but I am slowly replacing them with other brands.

So there's a little company background, coupled with a little strong opinion, and original question unanswered by me, lmao. (At least I stayed on topic:ROFLMAO: )

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated