• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Digimax lite????

Hi Mac, welcome to the forum. Love your gadgets. They do what they claim.

Encoders being used are exactly the same kind as any one else uses,

Just wish encoders were that simple.

They fall into two basic categories, momentary and static.

The momentary types show an open circuit on both contact points while resting in a detent, and close only while the shaft is turned.

The static type will show continuity on one, the other or both contacts while resting in a detent. Those fall into two basic categories, quadrature and gray-code.

Only type I ever used was the gray-code, two-bit encoders. Easier to debounce. The momentary-closure types favored by RCI, Magnum and Stryker are more prone to contact-bounce headaches.

Just wish the documentation for them were more widely available. Finding a proper substitute for an unmarked encoder gone bad is no trivial task.

Hi Mac,
Glad to see you around the forum.

I had to go back and look at my post to remember what you were referring to.

my main complaint with the encoder was that the shaft length wasn't long enough to work for installation in a Madison radio. I understand that all of these chinese encoders are cheaply made and wasn't trying to call you out on that, i was just hoping to get some part numbers attached to your install sheets so that people could choose their own encoders without doing the research i had to do.

honestly, i only use the ALPS encoders nowadays, and once you run one, you really can't go back to those flimsy chinese ones.
yes, they are expensive as heck, but some who buy the kit will want that extra bit of elegance.

If i had any real feedback about the kit besides that it is super cool and i enjoyed using it, it would be the setting of the band edges function.

Using the VCO to automatically set them is a cool idea, but in function it doesn't work very well because of how VCO's die off on the edges slowly as opposed to just suddenly quitting.

it would be much more useful if i could turn the encoder to the top and bottom freqs i want to use, and then push the button to set the edges.

that way you could set the band for whatever the useful VCO and mixer bandwidth is in a particular radio.
hope you find that helpful, and thanks again for checking in.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.