• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole Antenna Mounting

edfiero

Jul 15, 2010
Couple of questions about mounting a dipole antenna...

Is there a minimum mounting height for a dipole? Obviously with any antenna the higher it is the better, but outside of this, is there a minimum height for it to be mounted so that it radiates properly and/or the ground doesn't interfere with it??

The antenna is currenly hanging horizontally about 12 feet off the ground. I am receiving local stations with vertical antennas pretty well. I had expected this horizontally mounted antenna to attenuate vertically polorized signals while optimizing 'flat side' stations. Since the antenna is acting more like a vertical I am wondering if I am over estimating the attenuation effect or whether or not it really is behaving like a vertical because it is not high enough off the ground. Related to my first question, is there a minimum height before I see it act like a horiztonal antenna?

Thanks

It won't start to act like a textbook dipole until you get it at least 1/2 wavelength above ground and well away from trees, towers, buildings and other obstacles to the signal. This applies to all dipoles, regardless of frequency. At 11 meters, a half wavelength is only about 18 feet; at 160 meters it's a bit trickier.

And higher is better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.