• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole connection homemade

ih2425

May 1, 2009
is there any web sites with pictures on how to connect a homemade rotatable dipole i am just starting to try and build a rotatable dipole or maybe even a beam for 10 meters then use my antenna turner to go lower

Like any wire dipole you have two choices.....

#1 - Strip back enough coax to make your connection. Twist the shield, connect it to one side, and connect the center wire to the other end. Seal it up real good with RTV sealant to keep water from soaking into the coax, and leave a big enough loop at the point of rotation so you don't put stress on it.

#2 - Wire an SO-239 connector between the two legs of the dipole, securely mount the SO-239 as clse as possible to the connection point. Again, seal with RTV sealant to keep moisture out of the works, and leave enough of a loop in the coax to keep from putting stress on the wire.

Either way you go...(connection wise)....your loop should be big enough so that the antenna can make a full 360° turn and still have a little slack in it. I used to set my rotatable antennas up with the starting point set at 0° dead magnetic North, and swing them around to 360°, after that you have to swing it back around........

Make the dipole for the lowest frequency you plan on using and then tune it for higher frequencies. Also, if you plan on doing it this way, it would be better to feed it with ladder line. It will work a lot better.

Are we to assume you are making your dipole of wire, or some other material?

I made one of pipe that would be easy to rotate:

Hopeful DX Dipole

Wow, that is one HEFTY dipole!

Whatever you do, ih, be sure to insulate it from the mast if you use metal. The last rotatable dipole I built was made of wire taped to crappie poles, and the mount was a 3" x 3' strip of 3/8" plywood. If were going to leave that up for a while I would have fiberglassed the plywood (and fiberglassed plywood makes a very good plate for mounting a beam to a mast also).

Rick

Good lord man, you could hunt ducks with that thing!

What was the bandwidth like?

It's not up now, but it was great on bandwidth. No DX was rolling at the time so I couldn't do much with it. I did make a solid contact on a little sporadic skip from here in NW Arkansas to McAllen, (South) Texas, on 27.425.

It was horizontal so locally there wasn't any use for it.

Last edited:
i am looking to build something just like that are there anything inside the metal tubing ie wires or they just connected to the fence poles

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.