• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole doesn't see ground.

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
Using two firestik antennas as a dipole on a mirror "L" mount. SWR is 4.0 whether I have a counterpoise or not. Tried it with and without a balun. Makes no difference. Went 6 to 8 turns and no change. Both antennas are 5/8 wave. Only difference is one is 3' (Hot) and the other is 4' (cold). Tuned both all the way they could go and nothing. Closest I can get is low to mid 26mHz. Analyzer isn't very specific on freq. and my ohms are about 30 with a single 18ft. of rg8x. Its acting like it has nothing to reflect off of. I do have the arrl ant. handbook but its from 1977 and talks mostly about using tuners which I know I can get this to work without one. Tried looking online but can't really find anything. I did find something about using 21 ft. of coax to wind a balun but it covers way more than I need it to and coax isn't cheap.

Everything is insulated from everything.NCM_0164.JPG NCM_0178.JPG NCM_0179.JPG The V antenna makes no difference either. I removed it and stayed. If I'm lucky, I'll see it in the 3's but rare. The black rod with yellow tips is 1/2" PVC and the vertical pole is an aluminum stage light stand. The bottom mount stud with the "N" connector is just temp until I can get a bolt that fits. I also need the mount flipped for height clearance.

Last edited:
No.
A dipole is balanced and does not require a counterpoise.

As far as your antenna build goes, the mounting pole so close to one end of your 'dipole' is probably far too close to it and capacitively de-tuning it,

Has got nothing to do with needing a counterpoise . . .

No.
A dipole is balanced and does not require a counterpoise.

As far as your antenna build goes, the mounting pole so close to one end of your 'dipole' is probably far too close to it and capacitively de-tuning it,

Has got nothing to do with needing a counterpoise . . .
Just pulled it off the stand. Same reading basically.

It looks to me as if the section pointing down is not connected to the bracket electrically and is insulated from it. If that is the case then you have it wrong. One piece needs to be insulated from it and have the cable connected to it. The other section needs to be grounded out to the bracket or else it is effectively not even there. In any event results will likely be better if both sections are the same type and length.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
No, The hot antenna IS insulted from the bracket and connected to the coax and the bottom one, Is not. It looks insulated because the white ring on the N connector I'm using to hold it on. Under the mount its connected. I know the pictures aren't the best. Both are the same WL just the bottom is a ft. longer. Could that be the problem?

No, The hot antenna IS insulted from the bracket and connected to the coax and the bottom one, Is not. It looks insulated because the white ring on the N connector I'm using to hold it on. Under the mount its connected. I know the pictures aren't the best. Both are the same WL just the bottom is a ft. longer. Could that be the problem?

A dipole doesn't have a 'Hot' side to it, as the radiation equally and alternately changes polarity both positive and negative at freq.

In your case with this project, so long as each element is resonant at freq. . .

A dipole doesn't have a 'Hot' side to it, as the radiation equally and alternately changes polarity both positive and negative at freq.

So long as each element is resonant at freq. . .

That is true for any antenna since RF is high frequency AC. Typically the term "hot side" is used to refer to the section that is connected to the feedline. Even a DC grounded antenna has what is generally referred to as a hot side.

Yeah OK. That white ring looked like it was the feed-thru insulator that insulates the antenna base from the mount.

No, Under the mount it is connected. Just how the picture looks. The insulator didn't fit through the hole and I wasn't going to force it and break it. I do have continuity to the cold ant.

Making excuses for your construction is not likely to help you get a better match. Your construction idea is atrocious and lacks any symmetry at all.

This is a poor image, but does show symmetry. Note that the coax is coming away from the antenna elements at a 90* degree angle. Note the feed point is on the left and the shield side in on the right, with the feed line coming away at 90* degrees.

1elmt.jpg

If you desire this antenna to radiate as a verticle...then this type of setup will need to be on its side with the feed line running horizontally for a ways out before going toward the ground.

Last edited:
Did you check the Coax That looks like that cheap over priced TS stuff I have seen in a previous life before retirement where the ground was broken in the Pl-259, or to much heat was used to solder the ground and melted the dielectric causing a short.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.