• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole now two elements.

Robalo

Aug 21, 2006
California
I made this dipole from extra parts and i'd like to know your opinion on this experiment, so far i have 1:4:1 on x freq. where i want it. (lower antenna)

dipole001jz2.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2561/dipole003ol7.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1627/dipole008sk2.jpg

'Doc is right, it is a 1/2 wave element from a yagi beam. It should work find and may show to be bi-directional with a bit of nulling off each end.

Robalo,
Sounds about right to me. The not working well locally is because of the polarity, I would think. But then the antenna above it ought to handle local stuff just fine.
I wonder why you used a balun, at least, I'm assuming that's a balun hanging on the mast?
- 'Doc

thank you gentlemen for looking at my post. I am running RCI/2950DX radio and sometimes a cobra 200GTL/DX fixed and tuned by Justin and i don't run an amp at all. I'm the one who believes in antennas instead of amps and the balun is working good for me and this is the one

http://unadilla.com/w2dinline.htm

antenna012hk1.jpg

Hi

Generally speaking, the radiation pattern of a dipole or 2 element Yagi antenna primarly depends on antenna elevation above ground. A higher elevation would lower the main lobe radiation angle, which would be better for DX. For instance, at 8m elevation, a dipole would have its maximum radiation at some 18 degrees.

On the other hand, the radiation pattern would be affected by surrounding objects as well, in a good or in a bad way (in most of the cases in a bad way). This effect would be amplified if the adjacent object is an antenna working on the same band.

The first setup (a scrap dipole installed at about 1.2 m below Maco 5/8 vertical) would not be adequate, mainly because the dipole is too close of Maco's counterweights (operating at same frequency). Depending on their actual length, the counterweights would act as a reflector or director for the dipole antenna. The result would be that most of the dipole radiation will be directed straight upwards at 90 deg. angle, either directly or by reflection from ground. That's bad.

There is only one sweet spot, that is the dipole should be installed at minimum 5.5m (some half lambda) below Maco's counterweights. Also, the dipole itself should be at some 8 m elevation. In such case, Maco's counterweights would squeeze dipole lobes downwards, and the main radiation angle would be lowered to some 13 deg. That's good.

The second setup woud be better, due to the fact that the distance between Yagi boom and Maco's counterweights is bigger. However, the dipole itself should be installed at some 8m off ground, to ensure a low angle of radiation in the first place.

4nec2 software can easily model both setups, and it is FREE:

http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/Home.htm

Best regards,
Julian

Maybe it's just me (or the angle of the pic?), but it appears that the non-driven element is smaller (aka director element?). Is this true? I'd think you'd see better performance extending that element longer to make it a reflector rather than a director (if it's shorter).

And indeed, I would expect it to not even compete with the onmi you have above it for local stuff...primarily because of it's polarity.

Nothing wrong (IMHO) with a 2 element beam...provided it works correctly.

;)

I think it could be real good if setup right, I was talking to a operator in FL. who had a pdl-2 setup as a horizontal two element. he took the vertical elements off and of corse the wire but dont know how he matched it up but it talked to me in PA and was very good sounding.

Roger

well now i want to experiment on the 45 deg. and it works good. I made contacts around 40-50 miles and here it is. the problem is that i have Television Interference with this set up
antenna002ms6.jpg

antenna012im0.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.