• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DIY balanced line antenna tuner

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
I was messing around with the idea of making a Tuner just for my balanced line antenna for home and camping..
i can fined variable capacitors and variable indicators all day on ebay... who supplies a case metal box's for projects that you guys can recommend...?

now if you where to bullied a balanced line antenna tuner no coax out just a 4:1 balun out how would you do about it? what kined of network what fun stuff would you add?

The best bet is to build a case out of wood or no case at all. If it's balanced it shouldn't radiate. Depending on the type of tuner the metal case may cause issues unless it's a lot bigger than it has to be.

I wouldn't use a 4:1 balun at all. If you use a link coupler no balun is needed. If you do a balanced balanced design with the 2 inductors you'll need a 1:1 current balun at the input of the tuner. Just a simple coax choke.

You can save money and have a more durable tuner by rolling your own inductors. Use large clips or solder on some taps where you need them.

I recommend the "K1JJ tuner." It's link coupled, easy to build and fairly easy to tune. Bare minimum you'll need some forms for your coils, wire and 1 capacitor.

The best bet is to build a case out of wood or no case at all. If it's balanced it shouldn't radiate. Depending on the type of tuner the metal case may cause issues unless it's a lot bigger than it has to be.

I wouldn't use a 4:1 balun at all. If you use a link coupler no balun is needed. If you do a balanced balanced design with the 2 inductors you'll need a 1:1 current balun at the input of the tuner. Just a simple coax choke.

You can save money and have a more durable tuner by rolling your own inductors. Use large clips or solder on some taps where you need them.

I recommend the "K1JJ tuner." It's link coupled, easy to build and fairly easy to tune. Bare minimum you'll need some forms for your coils, wire and 1 capacitor.

ok thanks for the info ill look in to the k1jj tunner
i was all so thinking of just getting some 1 sided pc board and solder it up in to a box...

May I suggest you take a look at my QRZ page. There may be some information useful to you about BLT's.
BLT's are cheap and easy to make if you choose to keep it simple.
I also use 40 amp DPDT relays for all my OWF switching.
Good luck in your quest for a BLT
Larry
N7ZDR

Reactions: 543_Dallas
ok thanks for the info ill look in to the k1jj tunner
i was all so thinking of just getting some 1 sided pc board and solder it up in to a box...

It's depends on how you build it but man that could be a big board. The coil in mine is 40 turns of 1/4" copper tubing. I forget the spacing between turns but it's just over 2 feet wide.

For a case you could get an electrical box from Lowe's or Home Depot. They have a supply of fiber filled plastic boxes or metal. Grainger's has them also. Just about any electrical supply has them as well.

I repurpose old equipment cases like the old desktop computers and make up a new front panel for the front. Admittedly finding a case is the hardest part of almost any project if you want it to look good.

Why not just some type of plastic box? Would this avoid any issues if one was used. Like someone posted earlier, a small pill through or electrical type box from Home Depot seems like it would work. Just curious. Those cases Tallman listed are nice, but again, like 543 stated, you may have issues with a metal box. That or even look around for someone throwing away an old computer. Use the casing of one of them like posted as well. Spend less and repurpose. Just a thought. I could be way off base, so don't flame me fellas!! Hope you find something that fits your needs and works. Have a good day.
73 and God Bless.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.