• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do I have these gamma matches in the right place

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
The instruction pic says it's rotated 180 degrees for clarity. Well, it's messing with me. Having trouble getting tuned. I had the flat side tuned good, but the vertical stays above 1.8:1. Strange, the other day the vertical was low.

To me, it looks like both coax connectors are on the same side of the boom, but mine aren't.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot 2019-07-31 20.56.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-31 20.56.20.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 204

Mudfoot, IMO the image of the antenna shows you have both gammas on the same side of the boom. The image is also looking toward the back and the manual is looking toward the front. Keep your eyes on the difference between front and back.

Based on the manual the horizontal gamma should be on top of the element and toward the front. You have it set toward the back and on the bottom of the element.

This is just my opinion, but I've had a few beers too...so I could be wrong.:unsure:

Last edited:
Yeah me thinks so, Marconi is right about the gamma matches, the Vertical should be closest to back of the beam. You have the Vert and Horz swapped. According to the almost well written assembly instructions.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: Mudfoot
My initial readings seem to support something like that. That stupid 180 degree messed me up. Been nice if they had an actual photo of it.

I thought I had it correct. I've never fooled with a dual polarity beam before. I found a couple pics online. One had the Reddi match pointing up and the other had it pointing down on the vertical element. Manual says pointing up. I hope to have this up Sunday.

When you mention 180* degrees confused you...could it be that someone suggested you rotate the boom ends 180* degrees in your picture?

Mudfoot, check-out, real close, Figure #8 in the manual and you will see the orientation positions for the boom ends, relative to the radiating elements, and the gammas. The gamma locations and orientations are in the small box to the right of Figure #8.

The manual should be your best buddy helping you during installation.

Last edited:
When I first checked it, the vertical orientation had a good SWR. I then put it on a new mast. I must've turned it over by mistake. Anyhow, this is how it's oriented now. Gonna try and tune it later when it cools off.

The pictures show view from rear. Still not sure if I have the horizontal ready match positioned correctly. I'm thinking it should be flipped around.
IMG_20190801_120835699.jpg
IMG_20190801_120815076.jpg

Yo Mudfoot: The only guys making mistakes are those who are doing something. Assembly Instructions are something that need be proven by a separate person or persons being video taped as the assembly is performed. So that mix up, vague language, screw ups can be fixed.

Taking photos or even drawings of antennas is difficult especially beam antennas. The manufacture leaves a lot of room for improvement especially for section C. Several photos would certainly help.

When testing the beam from a manufactured kit, the match should be easy to get down. To test if the beam is really working rotate it while listening to a repeater that stays keyed down for a while so that you can see a significant null in the received signals. Say about 90 to 110 degree's off from the forward direction. If so its ah working.

Also be advised if your near mountains you might hear other far away stations bouncing off the mountains from directions that you didn't figure on.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: midnight special
This European ad shows horizontal elements on the bottom of the boom. The manual shows two different versions as well. One figure shows th

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190801-151537.png
    Screenshot_20190801-151537.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 164

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated