• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does a COBRA serial # tell what year it was mf'd??

Chainsawgang

Jan 19, 2007
Georgia
Hey ,

I acquired a side mic Cobra 29 . The plate on back reads DYNASCAN and is stamped made in HONG KONG . Does anyone know what finals this thing probably has and is it a pretty good radio ?

hong kong was late 70's early 80's. they had problems with the finals, i dot rember the number of it off the top of my head but i know i need one still. there not available new anymore so to get one i would need to buy a radio that works. i bought 2 29's from ebay for the fanal and both were bad. my 89xlr sat for about 2 years before just giving it away. not much else i could do with it. shame it was flawless outside.

the pll's are popular for those with a uiden 810e bases,cobra 146's, uniden 122's, president ar 144's so they can add extra chanels to there radios. the bad part it is makes sidebad unusable.

As a rule, one can determine a radio's age from the date code on the ic chips in the radio. The PLL chip usually has this.... F MB8719 / japan 8325 C80 and would mean the 25th week of 1983. From a Cobra 148GTL. :unsure:
Not always a sure thing as the code may not be there and it may have a code on a different chip or a date on the PC board it self.

mechanic

not sure on date but if i remember right the hong kong boards are good but the older the board in a cobra 29 the better the build i know the ones built in the 70s were supposed to be the best but i heard it from someone a while back and slept since then and may not be 100% accurate on the recolection

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.