• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does a tuner really "help"

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
My understanding of a tuner is to just deliver an impedance at the radio. Sooooo if the radio is happy but I am only delivering half of my actual power to radiation then shouldn't I try to better the antenna and remove the tuner?

Shouldn't you make the antenna work 'better' so that you don't need a tuner? Yes, if you have that choice then that's certainly what you should do. But what if you don't have that choice, what if you are trying to make an antenna not designed for some particular band work on that 'wrong' band? Then a tuner is certainly one option.
A better option would be in placing that tuner at the feed point of the antenna instead of at the transmitter end of the feed line, that'd make even the losses of a non-resonant antenna much more acceptable. Then that tuner would be called an impedance matching circuit, sort of like a gamma/beta match, right? Except it would be variable so could match more than just one 'band'. The problem with that is that it'd take awful long arms to reach that tuner to retune it when necessary.
One way to lessen the losses resulting from using a tuner (at the transmitter end) is by using a feed line that doesn't have so much loss, or that isn't damaged by impedance mismatches. Unfortunately, coax feed line is very susceptible to that 'damage' thingy.
There would still be some loss from using an antenna not resonant, or close to resonant for a band. No way around that really, but the losses can be minimized. The point of diminishing returns involves the cost, complexity, and inconvenience of putting that tuner in the place where it will do the most good. A crappy antenna is still better than no antenna at all.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Get the antenna as close as you possibly can. If you can not get it to tune "100%" then use the tuner to trim the match.

If you are using a tuner to correct a horrible mismatch, you are better off just turning it all off and going to watch TV.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.