• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS SYMBOL IS?

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I wanted to share a youtibe video link on the announcement section of this form, but couldn't figure out what this symbol was. I looked at each letter (upper and lower case) digit, and all the signs located on my smartphones keyboard, but couldn't figure out what the cutoff L-shaped sign is. Could someone tell me what it is, and where if I could locate it on my phone's keyboard? It's the one located between the backslash, and the number 3. Thanks. 73
Screenshot_20181024-081201_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

I wanted to share a youtibe video link on the announcement section of this form, but couldn't figure out what this symbol was. I looked at each letter (upper and lower case) digit, and all the signs located on my smartphones keyboard, but couldn't figure out what the cutoff L-shaped sign is. Could someone tell me what it is, and where if I could locate it on my phone's keyboard? It's the one located between the backslash, and the number 3. Thanks. 73
View attachment 25827
With out know the context of the subject matter it would be hard to tell. If you were dealing with AC power that could be the third phase of a three phase power. L1, L2, L3.

Reactions: Sonar
With out know the context of the subject matter it would be hard to tell. If you were dealing with AC power that could be the third phase of a three phase power. L1, L2, L3.
It's just part of a YouTube link I wanted to share. I've never seen that symbol before. It's not an upper or lower case L. It's not a capital i. It's just a straight vertical line with a little L shape hook at the bottom. Sharing the link isn't actually that important at this point in time. I'm assuming that YouTube uses common letters numbers, and sometimes symbols in their links, but I've never seen this one before. Nor can I find it on my keyboard. Smartphone only. I don't have a PC or LP. Thanks tall man

If you have windows 10 or others for that matter they include a character map gen that will display a multitude of maps just click on the windows symbol bottom lefthand corner and type "character map" press enter and it pops up you may be able to find this symbol or combination of symbols in that data base.

It appears in Arial Character map as lower case Latin lota
lota.jpg

It's not a normal character avaialbe to use on the typical keyboard - but it does have Unicode assigned number.

So it may be a "trigger" In the Wiki It describes it as the English reference to 'Bit' so it may also trigger a string escape sequence similar to the older ANSI escape sequence for DOS screens.

So be aware that this may be an embedded trigger code for a counter or a unique ID to parse out a "count" or "Hit" to the link it's embedded in. Although harmless in itself - it can be used by cookies to flag a view for the third party that parses out the cookie it's in to use as a count or indication...

Again harmless so to speak but if the reference to the video or link is used to determine personality types, actions or profiles - these little offline characters embedded in links do tell and leave a trial others can follow.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It appears in Arial Character map as lower case Latin lota

It's not a normal character avaialbe to use on the typical keyboard - but it does have Unicode assigned number.

So it may be a "trigger" In the Wiki It describes it as the English reference to 'Bit' so it may also trigger a string escape sequence similar to the older ANSI escape sequence for DOS screens.

So be aware that this may be an embedded trigger code for a counter or a unique ID to parse out a "count" or "Hit" to the link it's embedded in. Although harmless in itself - it can be used by cookies to flag a view for the third party that parses out the cookie it's in to use as a count or indication...

Again harmless so to speak but if the reference to the video or link is used to determine personality types, actions or profiles - these little offline characters embedded in links do tell and leave a trial others can follow.
Where else but here on wwdX would I have ever found that information out. Thanks for taking the time to figure out what the heck that was. I did research it myself, but couldn't come up with anything. After my research I figured I had nothing to lose by posting the question as to what that was right here. Once again thank you very much for not only finding out what that character was, but what the possible ramifications of it being part of a YouTube link, or any link for that matter. I actually am glad that it happened. I never knew how to copy and paste, or is it referred to as cut and paste, but I finally figured it out. I did add the link to the post I left on the announcement open forum part of this site. Once again I greatly appreciate you taking the time to get that information to me. I hope it helps others in the future. 73. PS. Happy Halloween...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.